Does Romans 14:5 pertain today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earl40

Puritan Board Professor
If so what is the day, or days, being spoken of? I know it does not pertain to Sunday and I strongly suspect it does not pertain to the 25th of December.

5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

It was the holy days prescribed in the Mosaic Law.

It doesn't refer to the weekly sabbath (since that is part of the abiding moral law), and it doesn't refer to man-made holy days (since we are never allowed to create and observe those). The situation was that some Jewish Christians had difficulty understanding that the holy and feast days were done away with - they continued to observe those occasions as if the New Testament church hadn't been established. Paul calls for understanding and charity regarding those who were slow to give up days of observance that were indeed commanded in earlier times.

The corollary is that those who celebrate no holy day but the Christian Sabbath should not be subject to the judgment of others. So, in contrast to the popular interpretation that this vindicates those who celebrate various man-made holy days, it in fact, should vindicate those who don't celebrate any of those days.

See the thread ‘Christmas and the Christian’. The O.P linked to an excellent sermon series by Albert.N.Martin wherein he instructs at length (in particular the final 3, but better to listen to him in the full context) insofar as Romans 14. That’s a very long answer (but well worth listening to). :)

No doubt some shorter answers will be forthcoming.

It was the holy days prescribed in the Mosaic Law.

It doesn't refer to the weekly sabbath (since that is part of the abiding moral law), and it doesn't refer to man-made holy days (since we are never allowed to create and observe those). The situation was that some Jewish Christians had difficulty understanding that the holy and feast days were done away with - they continued to observe those occasions as if the New Testament church hadn't been established. Paul calls for understanding and charity regarding those who were slow to give up days of observance that were indeed commanded in earlier times.

The corollary is that those who celebrate no holy day but the Christian Sabbath should not be subject to the judgment of others. So, in contrast to the popular interpretation that this vindicates those who celebrate various man-made holy days, it in fact, should vindicate those who don't celebrate any of those days.

You said it better than I could!

In response to the OP

If so what is the day, or days, being spoken of? I know it does not pertain to Sunday and I strongly suspect it does not pertain to the 25th of December.

5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

I my sound like a broken record but I cannot recommend A Holy God and Holy Days highly enough!

Well, those ceremonial days, what purpose do they have? One purpose! PREACH Christ! God gave to Moses these ceremonial institutions which were temporary so that in vivid color with smells and sounds and sights he could show them who Jesus would be and what Jesus would do. And, they served their purposes.

We come to the New Testament and what do we find? With Christ's coming all of those ceremonial days, like the Passover and others, are put away, they are fulfilled, their purpose is done. They preached Christ looking forward to Him. Now, Christ is come! So, you turn to Galatians 4 verses 9 through 11, Colossians 2 verses 16 and 17, and then Hebrews 8, 9 and 10. And there, the Bible teaches us in the New Testament that these days have ceased. There's a cessation. They're put away. The ceremonial days have - And, in fact Paul rebukes them for keeping up these Holy Days. He says, "No! Don't you realize that by observing these Old Testament ceremonial days you are doing something offensive? Because the real thing is here! The substance is here! Christ is here! The shadows are to be put away." He's rebuking them. But, notice here. He's rebuking them for observing days that had been appointed by God Himself and have now been laid aside by God.

Romans 14, you see him taking up this matter again. It's a unique period of time. He's not speaking to them about remembering days in which Baal is celebrated and other things. But, he's saying that in this time when the ceremonial system is being laid aside there had to be charity and love when they bore with one another in this time of transition.

And so, the ceremonial days are laid aside. And, the Sabbath of course continues. It's moral. It's the fourth commandment. It's a creation ordinance in Genesis two. And so, that continues on into the New Testament. And what we find is that there is no other day appointed in the New Testament. We have 52 Holy Days a year, first day of the week, the Christian Sabbath.

This is from that sermon and echoes what Tim said above.

Unlike Al Martin's 7 sermon series that leaves me scratching my head a little at times, this one is less than an hour long.

I doubt whether - even supposing it was allowed - it is possible to truly observe any of those Jewish holy days since they all depended on the existence of the Temple. See if I'm right; I haven't yet checked for sure:)

The same is true of theonomy, by the way. Is it possible to observe laws about capital punishment that were a form of excommunication, except to follow the spirit of the laws; the general equity? While the Temple and Theocracy were standing they made sense.

The weekly Sabbath was of a different sort to the other Jewish festivals, although ceremonial acoutrements were added to it at the time of Moses, which fell away with Christ's resurrection.

The Temple of course was still standing when the Apostle wrote to the Romans.

These days pointed to Christ in shadow, and He has arrived. The Sabbath pointed/points to resting with Christ in God in Heaven, and that hasn't arrived yet for us.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back