Distance seminary

Status
Not open for further replies.
For example, I know of one brother who used to post on this board who had degrees from Luther Rice and later felt the need to start all over again at Southern.

That same brother readily admits that today's Luther Rice is nothing like it was when he received training there. They have come along way in every area, especially academics.

will allow you to save money besides

Schools add fees for online classes, so how are they saving money?

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

I'm not sure how SBTS handles their online preaching classes (or if they even offer them online).

Liberty requires you to video tape yourself "preaching" to an audience of at least 15 people. I would imagine SBTS and others do something similar.

Chaplainintraining,

In the preaching class at SBTS, we had to preach once in front of the class and twice outside of the class, and video each sermon. After that we had a written review from each classmate and from the professor evaluating (in real-time & then again written later) our takeoff & landing, content, exegesis, exposition, transitions, application, etc. We then wrote our own analysis & critique of the sermons, as well as listening to a required set of sermons that semester in chapel & discussing them in class w/ the professors (we had 2 profs teaching our class together). Of course there were the lectures & books & papers too. Lots of interaction; still wish it had been under the direct oversight of my pastor at the time.

I agree with you -- I imagine that a distance/online option would involve video, and I suppose the prof could give you a written evaluation, and maybe if the videos were posted on a site then you could review the other guys & they could review you. Still not sure that it would be ideal though. It's not the same. Not that it would be unprofitable; just don't think it would be best. But if it's a man's only option, and it could be studied under the close oversight of the elders of his church, then it would probably work out pretty well.

Just my $0.02.

Chaplainintraining,

In the preaching class at SBTS, we had to preach once in front of the class and twice outside of the class, and video each sermon. After that we had a written review from each classmate and from the professor evaluating (in real-time & then again written later) our takeoff & landing, content, exegesis, exposition, transitions, application, etc. We then wrote our own analysis & critique of the sermons, as well as listening to a required set of sermons that semester in chapel & discussing them in class w/ the professors (we had 2 profs teaching our class together). Of course there were the lectures & books & papers too. Lots of interaction; still wish it had been under the direct oversight of my pastor at the time.

I agree with you -- I imagine that a distance/online option would involve video, and I suppose the prof could give you a written evaluation, and maybe if the videos were posted on a site then you could review the other guys & they could review you. Still not sure that it would be ideal though. It's not the same. Not that it would be unprofitable; just don't think it would be best. But if it's a man's only option, and it could be studied under the close oversight of the elders of his church, then it would probably work out pretty well.

Just my $0.02.

Oh I thought you were talking about SBTS via distance or something. I was just explaining how Liberty does it (I know some who have graduated from there). My experience at DTS is very similar to what you described at SBTS.

I think homiletics via distance is a complete joke. Nowhere near adequate.

Chaplainintraining,

Just my $0.02.

All of my graduate homiletic classes were completed via distance ed. In each class, the prof required us to preach in a church (if possible), video it and recruit 4 in the congregation to fill out the evals. All of that, along with the preaching notes, was posted on Blackboard for the other classmates to critique (and each student was assigned four other students to critique), and finally the professor weighed in.

In my undergrad homiletics, which was done in residence, the process was very similar, minus the church and technology. I'm not sure if there is a clear advantage either way.

Boliver, sorry if I wasn't clear. My on-campus studies at SBTS ended in 2008 when I finished the M.A.; I took preaching during that on-campus stint. My online studies at SBTS toward the M.Div. commenced in 2009. I'm currently trying to wade through Hebrew via an online course...thus the closing statement of my previous comment. No fun. Better than no Hebrew at all, but no fun. I couldn't imagine trying to take a preaching class in this present context.

Gordon, I am with you that a clear advantage isn't in view. The format I took is preferable for the immediate face-to-face interaction with the prof. And my particular class was unique in that I studied under Russ Moore & David Prince (Rev. Prince, an experienced pastor, is pursuing his PhD in preaching at SBTS focusing on redemptive-historical theology and its immediate application to preaching). So that was a really unique class by two very gifted preacher-instructors. But as I stated above, I could see a definite advantage in the right context of taking the class under the direct oversight of one's elders and pastor. Ergo, your situation.

Grace to you both as you seek to proclaim God's grace to dying men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back