Disc Golf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdowns

Puritan Board Junior
Anybody here play? Beholds new avatar made me think of it. :) Super cute picture!

I started about a year ago, and just love it. It's played like golf with special discs, and courses range from deep woods, to open grass fields, to desert.

*It's free. (After you buy discs, which cost $7 (low end at Big 5) $20 (High End, with special design) and you could live with 1, but 3 or more are nice.

*Good exercise played in a group, great exercise played alone with jogging to discs.
*Good for the whole family.

My main discs are,

Drivers: Star Orc with special dye to look like Captain America's shield, Champion Sidewinder, Champion Eagle.

Mid-Range: I almost always use the Champion Coyote, unless far, then a driver.

Short Range/Putter: Star Aviar in Caps Shield, or Champion Rhino.

Out here in Southern Cal, where it originated, lots of great courses, I play Oak Grove (I think the first course ever) and La Mirada.

Rounds can be under an hour, so not too time consuming like ball golf.

Anybody else play?

I started to play last summer. I only have two discs right now cause I lost one in a river that was next to the course. The disc sank to the bottom, they don't float. We have a 18 hole course here with hills and forests and that river to manuver around. Great outdoor activity that is for sure! I plan on playing again soon since the weather here now is getting nicer to be outdoors.

We played while in SC. In Atlanta, we practically had a course in our backyard.

There are ways to cut costs in procuring disks as well. If there is a Play It Again Sports near you, they often have used ones for probably $3-4. Also, if you play enough, you will be able to find a few for "free"! Abandoned ones show in all sorts of places -- tree tops, river beds, etc. Of course, you might wind up trading a few of your own in the process!

For any ARPs, there's a course at Bonclarken. I think the new hotel messed up a couple of the "holes," though.

Trevor,
I noticed your blog refers to Seal Beach. Where do you play disc golf? Over by Central Park in HB? I've only played once, but it was there.

Glad you liked the avatar! My husband loves disc golf (or frolf, as we call it!) and I like it. The best place (and first place) I've ever played was on a course in Yellowstone National Park that was created for employees!

I've been playing for a few years.
Drivers: Avenger SS, XL, Stratus,
Mids: Drone, Comet Hawk,
Putters: Challenger
I prefer Z plastic and have some FLX and ESP

I use Discaroo.com a lot!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeLe1yLeIlQ]YouTube - The Brothers Eppes and Larry play Frisbee[/ame]

Yeah, I play disc golf! There is a fun course just a mile from my home, and it is a nice walk. I'm not very good, but I typically do well among friends. But that's just because my friends aren't good either :p I have a habit of just trying risky stuff in hopes of doing something super cool. It sometimes works.

What is fun about the course near my house is that it basically winds up and down a large hill that is next to the wilderness. There are sometimes mountain lions, hogs (haven't seen 'em, but I've heard dogs chasing 'em), rattlesnakes (I killed one last year :D), lots of turkeys, and the river next to it has a ton of salamanders. The area is just as fun as the disc golfing, really.

Wow, I looked up Frisbee golf and saw that it was organized into a sport in 1977. So that means I was on the cutting edge and didn't even know it.

Back in 1977, when I was in college in Missoula MT, a friend and I took our Professional Frisbees to Mount Sentinel above the big "M" overlooking campus and decided to see who could hit the Grizzly bear statue in the central oval in the fewest throws. The distance was about two or three miles and the change in elevation was about 1200 feet.

We spent a wonderful afternoon crashing through brush, slipping off of rocks, trying not to hit people or cars as we got closer to civilization. It became something of a tradition for us.

But I had never really heard of it being organized and having different discs for different conditions.

I haven't playe there yet...

Trevor,
I noticed your blog refers to Seal Beach. Where do you play disc golf? Over by Central Park in HB? I've only played once, but it was there.

I surf North Huntington, Bolsa Chica, most weekends, but have not played that course yet.

I live inland, along the San Gabriel Mountains, so play the Pasadena course (really good) and a small course in Azuza. I def. want to hit the Huntington course.

I also want to visit some of the Reformed Churches down South of us...but I always have something going on at my home church.

Is that course fun?

-----Added 4/2/2009 at 02:35:56 EST-----

Yeah, I play disc golf! There is a fun course just a mile from my home, and it is a nice walk. I'm not very good, but I typically do well among friends. But that's just because my friends aren't good either :p I have a habit of just trying risky stuff in hopes of doing something super cool. It sometimes works.

What is fun about the course near my house is that it basically winds up and down a large hill that is next to the wilderness. There are sometimes mountain lions, hogs (haven't seen 'em, but I've heard dogs chasing 'em), rattlesnakes (I killed one last year :D), lots of turkeys, and the river next to it has a ton of salamanders. The area is just as fun as the disc golfing, really.

Wow, that place looks cool, I may have to stop by there this summer, when I do my up the coast, then into Oregon road trip, I'll be surfing up the coast, then hitting disc golf courses where I can find them.

Cool looking town!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back