Dietrich Bonhoeffer Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
"Wherever the Psalter is abandoned, an incomparable treasure vanishes from the Christian church. With its recovery will come unexpected power." -- Dietrich Bonhoeffer, German theologian, Psalms, The Prayer Book of the Bible, p. 26

German Psalter translated by Martin Luther:

014b.jpg

Do you know if copies of this Psalter are available to the public, either in hard copy or on the internet?

"Wherever the Psalter is abandoned, an incomparable treasure vanishes from the Christian church. With its recovery will come unexpected power." -- Dietrich Bonhoeffer, German theologian, Psalms, The Prayer Book of the Bible, p. 26

It's difficult to know how seriously to take Bonhoeffer whenever he speaks about Scripture - him being neo-orthodox and all: "The Bible is not the Word of God, but it contains the Word of God."

Here is (I think, my German is not much to speak of) an online 1833 edition of Der Psalter.

You can get another 19th century edition at a bookstore in Chapel Hill for $35.00 here. :pilgrim:

Wow thanks. How did you find the one in Chapel Hill? I'll have to go check that out sometime this week.

Wow thanks. How did you find the one in Chapel Hill? I'll have to go check that out sometime this week.

You're welcome -- just did a little online digging around. You might call or email them just to make sure they still have it and they are still in business (their website said something about being located in Pennsylvania). I have found good Protestant literature from time to time in little out-of-the-way bookstores in Chapel Hill and elsewhere in NC.

BTW, I have a book which is an 1878 edition of Luther's small catechism only I think it is a Swedish translation rather than German. I'd like to give it away to someone who can provide a good home :pilgrim: -- let me know if you would be interested.

http://runeberg.org/katekes/

You're welcome -- just did a little online digging around. You might call or email them just to make sure they still have it and they are still in business (their website said something about being located in Pennsylvania). I have found good Protestant literature from time to time in little out-of-the-way bookstores in Chapel Hill and elsewhere in NC.

BTW, I have a book which is an 1878 edition of Luther's small catechism only I think it is a Swedish translation rather than German. I'd like to give it away to someone who can provide a good home :pilgrim: -- let me know if you would be interested.

http://runeberg.org/katekes/

I took a look at the online version of "der Psalter" and that's definitely what it is. It says "The Psalter of the King and Prophet David." But it looks like it may be just a stand-alone copy of the Psalms. I'll definitely still inquire about the other one to see what it looks like but I was specifically wondering if you or anyone had seen a singable German copy of the Psalms set to meter. Any ideas?

Do you remember the names of any of those bookstores by any chance? There is a quite large one on Franklin St. that is about to close down, actually. But when I looked in their religion section I couldn't find any primary texts - only what modern pagans have to say about the subject of 'religion' in general. However, I did see a neat looking copy of the Qur'an that I may go back and pick up since it was only $10.

I'm sure my bookshelf would be a great home for your swedish translation of the Catechism! It would be a good reason for me to pester the Germanic Languages dept. at UNC about teaching an "Intro to Swedish" course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back