Dear Christian, come to Golgotha with me for a moment. Rev. John Stevenson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
JStevenson.jpg

Reverend Dr. John Stevenson, First Perpetual Curate of Cury and Gunwalloe (1838–1846)
J. Wilson

Museum of Cornish Life, Helston

Psalm 22:1

My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

Go to Golgotha, Christian. Behold the amazing reality. Learn the unsearchable mystery. God's last and severest infliction, and faith's strongest and highest act, are being there displayed. Let the evangelists conduct thee in thought to Mount Calvary. Imagine thyself to have been present when the great atonement was offered. That was the judgment-day of the Saviour of the world. At the tribunals of men he was condemned-under their sentence, he was being now executed: and while his body hung in torture on the cross, he was arraigned in spirit before the bar of God, under the imputation of human guilt. The court of heaven descended, as it were, to Mount Calvary. This strong voice from the cross rends the veil that hides the unseen world from our view. We behold the great God at the dread moment when the last sentence has been pronounced. These awful words, "Let the law take its course," have just been uttered. The eternal Judge appears with his face turned away, as if about to leave the throne of justice, unable to exercise the Divine prerogative of mercy. An agonizing cry thrills every heart, arrests every attention, "El-i, El-i, lama sabachthani,—God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? " Inquiring angels and men ask, Who is this that is condemned? and with unutterable astonishment they learn that it is Jesus Christ, the Son of God,—He who had always loved and served his Father; whose filial heart had never swerved from its allegiance; whose whole life, from his cradle to his dying moment, was one uninterrupted flow of holy love and obedience. It is this Jesus, who in the beginning was with God, who is God; who is the only begotten, the beloved of the Father, that utters this astounding cry, Matt. xxvii. 46, and Mark xv. 34.

Rev. John Stevenson. Christ on the Cross: An Exposition of the Twenty-Second Psalm. London: J. H. Jackson, Islington Green: Seeleys, Fleet Street and Hanover Street; Robertsons Dublin; Oliphants Edinburgh, 1850. Reprinted by Tentmaker Publications.

Last edited:
Can a mod please change the title to read how it is below?

Dear Christian, come to Golgotha with me for a moment. Rev. John Stevenson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back