Deacons: Husbands of 1 wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg

Puritan Board Sophomore
In the qualifications of a Deacon which state "the husband of one wife"... Does this mean a man must be married to serve as a Deacon, or speaking of not more than 1 wife if he is married?

Originally posted by Gregg
In the qualifications of a Deacon which state "the husband of one wife"... Does this mean a man must be married to serve as a Deacon, or speaking of not more than 1 wife if he is married?

No. The same requirement is given 1 Tim 3:2 of elders, and Paul was an elder.

the phrase "husband of one wife" does not refer to marital status (ie. must be married, one wife at a time, one wife for life, etc). It can be literally translated "a one woman man" and refers to purity - if he is single he is pure and honorable, if he is married, he is a faithful husband to his wife.

Phillip

Originally posted by pastorway
the phrase "husband of one wife" does not refer to marital status (ie. must be married, one wife at a time, one wife for life, etc). It can be literally translated "a one woman man" and refers to purity - if he is single he is pure and honorable, if he is married, he is a faithful husband to his wife.

Phillip

Thanks Pastor.:up:

Phillip

I certainly hope so otherwise I would have to resign from my office.

Originally posted by fredtgreco

I'll take the contrary view, that the deacon and elder should be married (and even a father). 1 Tim 3:4 and 1 Tim 3:12 show that managing the household and the children are a visible evidence of his ability to manage the household of God.
:2cents:

Originally posted by jfschultz
Originally posted by fredtgreco

I'll take the contrary view, that the deacon and elder should be married (and even a father). 1 Tim 3:4 and 1 Tim 3:12 show that managing the household and the children are a visible evidence of his ability to manage the household of God.
:2cents:

I would agree that it would be preferred. But you are not about to disqualify Paul, are you?

How can it be preferred when Paul notes that the married man's attention is divided? Do you mean preferred in that it is easier to discern that the man is qualified or that he is better able to discharge his duties as an elder or deacon?

so a man cannot be an elder or deacon until he is married and has children?

That is simply not what the Text is saying, for this indeed would disqualify Paul. And what about those who cannot have children???

The fact is that the qualifications listed in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1 have a list that starts with an elder being "above reproach" and a deacon being "blameless" and all of the qualities that follow modify being above reproach or blameless - so not all qualities must be present, but the ones that apply to him must measure up to being above reproach and blameless.

To insist otherwise is to misread the text.

Phillip

so a man cannot be an elder or deacon until he is married and has children?

That is simply not what the Text is saying, for this indeed would disqualify Paul. And what about those who cannot have children???

The fact is that the qualifications listed in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1 have a list that starts with an elder being "above reproach" and a deacon being "blameless" and all of the qualities that follow modify being above reproach or blameless - so not all qualities must be present, but the ones that apply to him must measure up to being above reproach and blameless.

To insist otherwise is to misread the text.

Phillip

:ditto: I just went round and round with someone in another discussion group on this very issue.

Phillip

Excellent point. I'll store that one away in the recesses of my mind for future use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back