David Landsborough on the believer’s fear of God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Though the fear of the Lord is spoken of as the beginning of wisdom, it is at other times spoken of as comprehending the whole of religion. To fear the Lord, we must know him; and we cannot know him as he is represented in the Scriptures, without fearing him—fearing the Lord and his goodness—for it is not the fear which a slave has of his cruel taskmaster, but the reverential fear which a dutiful child has of the kindest and most beloved of fathers.

The unrenewed man does not know the Lord, and he cannot thus fear him. In the spirit of ignorance and impiety he may say, “Who is the Lord that I should serve him, and what profit would I have were I to pray to him?” Or, conscious of his rebelliousness, he may regard him as a powerful enemy, ready to crush him, and his hatred may be proportioned to his fear. how different is the reverential, affectionate fear of him cherished by believers, as the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ; the Father of mercies, the God of all consolation, the source of all our happiness, and the foundation of all our hopes!

For the reference, see:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back