David Chyträus on seven differences between Christ and the angels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Angels are spiritual substances created by God after his own image, and ordained to sing glory to God on high, and to be ministers upon earth, of the church or of the heirs of everlasting salvation. … By these descriptions and the testimonies cited in the text of the Epistle, seven differences may be gathered.

1 Christ is verily and by nature the Son of God, begotten of the substance of the eternal father. Psal. 2. This day have I begotten thee. 2. Reg. 7. I will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me. The Angels are not verily and by nature the sons of God, but only by adoption or grace. Ergo Christ far excelleth all the Angels.

2 Invocation is an honour to be attributed only to God the searcher of hearts, according to this saying: Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God; and in general, whosoever is worshipped, is better than he that worshippeth: But God commandeth that Christ shall be called upon, yea even of the Angels: Ps. 96. Worship ye him all ye Angels of God. Ergo Christ is both God, and also far more excellent than all the Angels.

3 Christ is the maker of heaven and earth. Psa. 101. Thou O Lord hast founded the earth from the beginning. Angels are substances created, as Psal. 103. is said: which makest thine Angels spirits, and thy ministers a flame of fire, that is to say, clear substances, which in sheerness, force, nimbleness, and swiftness, are like to fire. ...

For more, see:

https://reformedcovenanter.wordpres...en-differences-between-Christ-and-the-angels/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back