Dallas Willard

Status
Not open for further replies.

turmeric

Megerator
Can anyone tell me anything about him? Is he evangelical? He seems to be into "spiritual formation". I can't seem to figure him out.

Originally posted by turmeric
:lol: But seriously...do you really think that?

[Edited on 8-23-2005 by turmeric]

Seriously - I think he was one of the major opponents of MacArthur' Lordship Salvation.

He talks a lot about being like Christ, about how we've all gotten hung up on how to get to heaven, I thought he was kind of legalistic though admittedly I can't figure him out...but then antinomians can be legalistic, I've seen 'em do it before!

In retrospect, having read Willard's Divine Conspiracy sometime before I was introduced to Reformed theology, I would say that he is antinomian in his outlook.
It seems to me that all antinomians are by nature legalists as (I understand the term) -If they are sincere, they must require some kind of morality. But since they deny God's law as the only guide in defining that morality they HAVE to replace it with something usually some kind of a legalistic/pharisaical code or an indefinable and highly subjective and suspect "following the Holy Spirit" that defies any categorization or objective standard.

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
Originally posted by Draught Horse
He is also soft on open-theism.

I have a problem believing JM is soft on Open Theism. He isn't soft on to many issues. Even when he is wrong.

I think he meant Dallas Willard.

He talks a lot about being like Christ, about how we've all gotten hung up on how to get to heaven, I thought he was kind of legalistic though admittedly I can't figure him out...but then antinomians can be legalistic, I've seen 'em do it before!

Yes, they preach the law applies to Christians when it comes to rewards. Charles Stanley said that the "weeping and gnasing of teeth" verses apply to the Christian when in heavan at the judgment seat of Christ. :banghead:

[Edited on 8-23-2005 by raderag]

I bought "Divine Conspiracy" when it came out, and I didn't get too far with it until I came to a section where he became very critical of justification being an imputed righteousness. Apparently Willard believes we earn it somehow. I put the book down at that point. I don't have the book anymore-- perhaps if someone who does could dig up the quote, it was near the beginning.

Originally posted by Rick Larson
I bought "Divine Conspiracy" when it came out, and I didn't get too far with it until I came to a section where he became very critical of justification being an imputed righteousness. Apparently Willard believes we earn it somehow. I put the book down at that point. I don't have the book anymore-- perhaps if someone who does could dig up the quote, it was near the beginning.

The non-reformed view is that faith is imputed for righteousness, and therefore sanctification is by faith. The problem is that justification is based on the quality of faith rather than the object of such. This fits perfectly in the dispensational paradigm where the OT saints were "tested by works." Regardless, many Dispensationalists believe in the imputed righteousness of Christ.

Can anyone tell me anything about him? Is he evangelical? He seems to be into "spiritual formation". I can't seem to figure him out.

add to Fred's input: mystic

(a former teacher of mine...)

Robin

If I remember correctly, he was Bahnsen's Thesis advisor while he was getting his PhD at USC in the mid 70s. Small world isn't it. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back