Cowboy Church Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your predicament. You just weren't clear that they lined up at all with your doctrinal position. I didn't mean to come off intrusive.

Just a side note of clarification.

The PuritanBoard rules don't require one to belong to a church that holds to a confession, although that is the ideal. The rules require a member to hold to a confession and belong to a local church. In some cases, members are allowed to join even if they are not a member of a local church but have submitted themselves to a local church's authority (as in a Presbyterian who can only find a Baptist church to attend, and who cannot be a formal member of that church under its particular rules).

Not everyone here can find a confessional church to join.

Cowboy churches and presbyteries are probably fine as a temporary measure while cowboys are still assimilating and learning the language of the majority culture. It's the best solution to a difficult problem.
Problem is, these people groups are resistant to assimilation, preferring to remain in separatist enclaves. They share this proclivity with the various nerd tribes we see dispersed around the North American continent. Whether festooned in bolos or bowties, these poor folks need to be reached!

Oh, man, nerd church! We could meet in the basement of another church. It would be great.
I can think of quite a few pulpit nominees from the PB membership (and you know who you are), and a quite large number of laity as well. It could be a movement! The Star Wars/Trek sermon references and admonitions to Keep Calm might get a tad overused, but it'd be worth it for the cause...

I can think of quite a few pulpit nominees from the PB membership (and you know who you are), and a quite large number of laity as well. It could be a movement! The Star Wars/Trek sermon references and admonitions to Keep Calm might get a tad overused, but it'd be worth it for the cause...

Two things:

1. I'm a cowboy and a nerd. I'm about equally happy roping calves as I am programming homemade PIC microcontrollers. But I'm still not clear about the difference between a nerd and a geek. Maybe I'm a geek. But I think I qualify as a nerd because of my interest in slide rules. Anyway, I'm willing to sign on to the next movement, as long as I don't have to join anything.

2. What's this "Keep Calm" meme I keep seeing. I'm too lazy to Google it tonight, so you don't need to send me the infamous google it link. All I know is Seattle's famous Ivar's motto: "Keep Clam," which is something I always strive to do.

I understand your predicament. You just weren't clear that they lined up at all with your doctrinal position. I didn't mean to come off intrusive.

Just a side note of clarification.

The PuritanBoard rules don't require one to belong to a church that holds to a confession, although that is the ideal. The rules require a member to hold to a confession and belong to a local church. In some cases, members are allowed to join even if they are not a member of a local church but have submitted themselves to a local church's authority (as in a Presbyterian who can only find a Baptist church to attend, and who cannot be a formal member of that church under its particular rules).

Not everyone here can find a confessional church to join.
You are right, I didn't mean to imply that. I was unsure that his church lined up at all with his doctrinal standards, it was a misunderstanding on my part.

1. I'm a cowboy and a nerd. I'm about equally happy roping calves as I am programming homemade PIC microcontrollers.
You, sir, are a truly unique individual, one specially suited to bridge the gap between these two widely divergent people groups. I nominate you to head a mission of conciliation between them. Geeks -n- goat-ropers, nerds -n- herds, whovians -n- yahoos, and of course... bolos and bowties; a whole host of terms come to mind for this eclectic ecumenicism.
2. What's this "Keep Calm" meme I keep seeing.
Not entirely certain, but I think it has something to do with a medical professional and a '60's rock band engaged in some sort of staring contest.

2. What's this "Keep Calm" meme I keep seeing. I'm too lazy to Google it tonight, so you don't need to send me the infamous google it link. All I know is Seattle's famous Ivar's motto: "Keep Clam," which is something I always strive to do.

It is based on a poster made during the second world war. The poster said "keep calm and carry on" and was marked by King George's crown. It was intended to spur the British people on to courage and resiliency during the bombings and other terrors. The poster recently was found after being put away for decades, and since then has gone viral with folks using it as sort of a fill in the blank "keep calm and "

The poster recently was found after being put away for decades, and since then has gone viral with folks using it as sort of a fill in the blank "keep calm and "

Well, that's what puzzled me. I remember hearing about the poster more than 10 years ago, which made me wonder, "why now?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back