Copyrighted Blog Posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I happened to run across a blog today that had this notice at the top: "Blog Posts Copyrighted 2007 by The Anchoress Blog".

I don't think I've seen this on a blog before. Is it a good idea to have a notice like this on one's blog? Isn't any literary effort (book, article, blog) automatically under copyright as soon as you're finished writing it?

Any thoughts, bloggers?

This is what I put in the footer of a few sites I Admin (example from SoliDeoGloria.com)
"All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective companies. Comments are owned by the Poster. The Rest © 2006 SoliDeoGloria.com"

I think it's not a bad idea to note this. We have a few lawyers here but we changed the rules for posting recently to make sure that people knew that they needed to attribute quotes to their original authors. If a blogger goes through the trouble of writing something brilliant, a back-link is always in good form to help readers find the original author.

Copyright has to be claimed to exist. If you don't claim it, it doesn't exist.

Anything on my blog so far worth copying is material from old writers that is in the public domain.

And I believe to claim it simply requires one to include the text or symbol for "copyright", the date, and who is claiming the copyright.

What is the minimum one needs add to have properly claimed a copyright? Did I about cover it?

Oops. Looks like copyright notice is no longer required for someone to have a copyright. A copyright is effective upon the creation of a work.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#noc
The use of a copyright notice is no longer required under U.S. law, although it is often beneficial.

http://www.puritanboard.com/showthread.php?p=238636&posted=1#post238636
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

So technically, people who copy and paste words from the PB to their blogs (like FV people) are breaking copyright laws?

So technically, people who copy and paste words from the PB to their blogs (like FV people) are breaking copyright laws?
If they are not pasting the text wholesale but portions for interaction, this would be covered under "fair use". If it is simply wholesale cut and paste of the entire work; permission I would think would be necessary.

I find that very surprising. I always thought that copyright existed the moment a work was published, but the protection wouldn't be as strong if it wasn't claimed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back