College Football - 2009 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are SEC teams still scheduling community colleges for their Out of Conference games so that they can get two teams to the BCS again? :p.
If I remember correctly, Florida is returning all their starters on defense, plus they have that heisman guy in Tim Tebow, so I wouldn't be surprised if they went undefeated this year, even with their tough schedule.
This may be the year USC does not finish on top of the PAC-10, though I doubt it. Cal and Oregon should be pretty good this year; and my OSU Beavers always seem to surprise.

Are SEC teams still scheduling community colleges for their Out of Conference games so that they can get two teams to the BCS again?

It's worst that that. Georgia is scheduling teams from the PAC10, Big 12 and ACC. LSU is at Washington, Auburn plays WV, Bama opens at Va Tech.

Don't judge all of them by Florida's wimpy schedule. (Charleston Southern? Troy, Florida International, Vandy, Tennessee) LSU and possibly Georgia are their only decent opponents.

Yep. Georgia is playing Tennessee Tech, but the other three out-of-conference opponents are Oklahoma State (ranked 10th or 11th), Georgia Tech (top 20), and Arizona State. The latter has fallen in the last year or so, but they were highly ranked when this series was originally scheduled.

A few thoughts through 2 weeks of the season:

1. Parity is better than ever in college football. Florida has cruised through two cupcakes and Penn State has dominated their first two opponents, but everyone else has struggled in at least one of their games, including Alabama struggling through 3 quarters with Florida International and Texas losing to Wyoming until right before the half. Not to mention BYU beating Oklahoma and Houston beating Oklahoma State.

2. The SEC is probably the best conference, but there's no way they deserve to have 4 teams in the Top 10. Florida and Alabama I can agree with, but LSU and Ole Miss? LSU struggled against Washington in the opener and was out-gained by 150 yards, then followed that up by a very lackluster win over Vandy. Ole Miss didn't look impressive at all against Memphis, especially on offense. Maybe those teams are Top 20, but not Top 10.

3. There have been some really good, exciting games so far: Miami-FSU, USC-Ohio State, Georgia-South Carolina, Georgia Tech-Clemson, Oregon-Purdue, Michigan-Notre Dame, BYU-Oklahoma were all thrillers. I hope this continues for the rest of the season!

4. USC will lose 1-2 games this year and play in the Rose Bowl again. This is not the same Trojan team we're used to seeing, even with the win on Saturday.

5. The ACC is a horrible conference. No need to elaborate on this one.

Great points Mason. I especially agree about Ole Miss.

The rankings in college football are a joke. Oklahoma State got beat by Houston, and it was NOT a fluke. They just got outplayed. So why is Oklahoma State ranked ahead of Houston??? Why is Oklahoma State even in the top 15? Simple...because they were ranked in the Top 5 the previous week. That alone proves the rankings are primarily based on other rankings, not what is actually done on the field.

4. USC will lose 1-2 games this year and play in the Rose Bowl again. This is not the same Trojan team we're used to seeing, even with the win on Saturday.

I don't think that USC will lose two games and still go to the Rose Bowl. If USC did lose two games, Cal would likely be one of them. I don't see Cal defeating USC and still losing two games. Not going to happen. The more likely scenerio is that USC loses one game (to Cal) and runs the table otherwise and ends up either in the championship or the Rose Bowl.

Matt Barkley will gain confidence as he continues to play this season. USC will get better and better.

Now, to all of you SEC fans: Tenn lost to UCLA? Really? Ouch. The LSU/Washington game also shows that the SEC is overrated.

[/quote]

Now, to all of you SEC fans: Tenn lost to UCLA? Really? Ouch. The LSU/Washington game also shows that the SEC is overrated.[/QUOTE]

A few questions for you:

What is the SEC rated? Where do you think they should be rated? Are you aware that UT hired a former Pac 10 assistant coach? Are you aware that LSU beat WA? What do 3 straight national championships and 4/9 of national championships this decade prove about the SEC?

What a season so far!!

Last week featured more great games, including Michigan State-Notre Dame, Auburn-West Virginia, USC-Washington, Georgia-Arkansas, and a reasonably good Texas-Texas Tech rematch. It seems like every week there are 4-5 excellent games.

Right now the race for the MNC is wide open. Florida looks good but beatable, Texas has a suspect defense, Alabama has a good rush defense but hasn't faced a good passing attack yet (their weakness last year), Penn State is good but untested, Ole Miss is just way overrated.

I could see anyone in the Top 10 winning it. Really exciting season to date...

Tenn lost to UCLA

... and Florida had a harder time with Tennessee than expected! Although I'm afraid that might just light the coaching staff on fire and get Florida even harder to beat later on ... Tennessee too; and Tennessee has been the spoiler for Georgia in many a season.

A few questions for you:

What is the SEC rated? Where do you think they should be rated? Are you aware that UT hired a former Pac 10 assistant coach? Are you aware that LSU beat WA? What do 3 straight national championships and 4/9 of national championships this decade prove about the SEC?

I guess it shows that they can beat weak Big 10 schools and an Oklahoma team that chokes in big games. Now, if they have to meet Cal in the national championship game...

It looks like several of us were right....Ole Miss had no business being ranked where they were. (What a fabulous loss!!!)

But I'm guessing they don't drop as far as they should. The voters just aren't comfortable dropping a team more than 10 or 11 slots after a loss. Heaven forbid a team be ranked based upon actual performance.

So next week I predict that Ole Miss will be ranked around 15 or 16 and South Carlina will be ranked 21 or 22.

I think Oklahoma actually has the best shot believe it or not. Their loss to BYU was to a ranked opponent at a neutral site on the first week of the year by one point, the best loss you can have pretty much.

The back up Landry Jones looks prety good so even if Bradford can't make it back I think they're going to be fine passing. The line is fixed and seems to be playing well, the defense is probably the best in College football right now.

They play Miami, Texas, Nebraska, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State yet, which is plenty of fuel to support a 1 or 2 BCS ranking by the end of the season if they win out, which I bet they will, and will be a 11-1 Big 12 chanpion ranked #2 in the BCS at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back