College Football - 2009 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSilverMoon

Puritan Board Senior
Here we go again - the best sport in the world kicks off in just 10 days. Let the fun begin! Any thoughts on this coming season? Can anyone knock off the Gators? Who is the better QB of the McCoy-Bradford-Tebow trio? Will USC fall out of elite status? What's your Top 10?

Here's mine. Not much originality in the Top 5, but it's really hard to argue against these teams:

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State
5. USC
6. Penn State
7. LSU
8. California
9. Alabama
10. Oklahoma State

Last edited:
I like the Cal pick!

Here are some of my thoughts: No, I don't think USC will fall. They will have a very good year; perhaps a national championship. Florida will lose in conference prior to the SEC title game. Notre Dame will stink (8 wins max). Ohio State doesn't belong in the top 10. Oregon and Oregon State will be good this year. As much as I hate to say it, Texas and Oklahoma will be the teams to beat. Man, that hurt to say. Go California!

Jon, the more you say the phrase "Oklahoma will be the team to beat", it will get easier :D

Ok, seriously, If Florida stays healthy I don't see anyone beating them.

My top 5

1. Florida
2 (tie). Texas and Oklahoma (you can make a case for both at this spot).
4. The Ohio State University
5. University of Southern California.

Here we go again - the best sport in the world kicks off in just 10 days. Let the fun begin! Any thoughts on this coming season? Can anyone knock off the Gators? Who is the better QB of the McCory-Bradford-Tebow trio? Will USC fall out of elite status? What's your Top 10?

Here's mine. Not much originality in the Top 5, but it's really hard to argue against these teams:

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State
5. USC
6. Penn State
7. LSU
8. California
9. Alabama
10. Oklahoma State

I will argue that Ole Miss (Mississippi) should rank 8th, ahead of LSU. Won 6 of their last seven. Beat #1 Florida 31-30, lost to #2 Alabama 24-20, then beat LSU 31-13 and then #7 Texas Tech 47-34 in the Cotton Bowl.

Today's AP

1. Florida (58) 0-0 1,498
2. Texas (2) 0-0 1,424
3. Oklahoma 0-0 1,370
4. USC 0-0 1,313
5. Alabama 0-0 1,156
6. Ohio State 0-0 1,113
7. Virginia Tech 0-0 1,054
8. Mississippi 0-0 1,047
9. Oklahoma State 0-0 989
9. Penn State 0-0 989
11. LSU 0-0 914

[/QUOTE]

Ole Miss is the trendy pick, and they did have a great finish to last season. However, like Alabama, I have a feeling they won't sneak up on anyone this year. I think they will contend for the SEC West, but ultimately Alabama and LSU will be too strong for the Rebels.

Houston Nutt, crazy though he may be, is a good coach and will likely really improve the program there. It's basically a 3-way race to play Florida in the SEC championship.

Is there any reason my boys down in Huntington, WV are not on the list?

fball09-1024X768V2.jpg

I mean besides the obvious? ;) :lol:

Here we go again - the best sport in the world kicks off in just 10 days. Let the fun begin! Any thoughts on this coming season? Can anyone knock off the Gators? Who is the better QB of the McCory-Bradford-Tebow trio? Will USC fall out of elite status? What's your Top 10?

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State
5. USC
6. Penn State
7. LSU
8. California
9. Alabama
10. Oklahoma State

The name is Colt McCoy, but you will remember it much better after he wins the Heisman and leads Texas to a National Championship. (Can you guess who I root for).

Florida has a tough schedule (SEC) so no, i don't think them as National Champs is a given at all. Ohio St and USC play very early on (9/12) so that game alone will shake up the top 10. oh yeah, and as of today USC still hasn't settled on a starting QB so that can't bode well for them.

Marshall has a ridiculously soft schedule.

Here is a bonus pic for you. 1000 pts to first person who can tell me who is in the pic.

I've got only one letter for you:

200px-UGA%24%21logo.png

They're just outside of the Top Ten. They have arguably the toughest schedule in the country, and no one is expecting them to win. The defense will be much tougher this year. They will beat Oklahoma State to begin the season (and thereby enter the top 10). They will beat Florida and make Tim Tebow cry (again).

You heard it here first. ;)

There's no reason Penn State shouldn't finish above Ohio State and in the top 5 at least.

-----Added 8/24/2009 at 07:02:45 EST-----

Oh, and I have my Penn State tickets for opening day!

Ohio St and USC play very early on (9/12) so that game alone will shake up the top 10.

Here is a bonus pic for you. 1000 pts to first person who can tell me who is in the pic.

Early losses, especially to teams that have a good year, are mcuh easier to come back from than a later loss.

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State
5. USC
6. Penn State
7. LSU
8. California
9. Alabama
10. Oklahoma State

The name is Colt McCoy, but you will remember it much better after he wins the Heisman and leads Texas to a National Championship. (Can you guess who I root for).

Florida has a tough schedule (SEC) so no, i don't think them as National Champs is a given at all. Ohio St and USC play very early on (9/12) so that game alone will shake up the top 10. oh yeah, and as of today USC still hasn't settled on a starting QB so that can't bode well for them.

Marshall has a ridiculously soft schedule.

Too easy. How did you meet Colt? I know he used to live down the road from you in his Jim Ned days. (I am an old McMurry guy myself)

Is there any reason my boys down in Huntington, WV are not on the list?

I mean besides the obvious? ;) :lol:

The biggest (ok, only) question about Marshall is figuring out the weakest team that they play. I have SMU edging out Tulane, although there may be at least 3 other contenders. Why don't they challenge themselves, and add some top tier Texas high school teams.

Texas High School Football is overrated. My boys in Western PA could show them a thing or two.

But besides that the Thundering Herd already plays UTEP and SMU.

-----Added 8/24/2009 at 10:25:51 EST-----

Why don't they challenge themselves, and add some top tier Texas high school teams.

I think Ohio State has those teams all locked up.

Careful there UGA. Tennessee Tech is a real powerhouse. ;)

Yeah, I knew it was McCoy...just a typo!

okay, you are forgiven.

-----Added 8/24/2009 at 11:03:02 EST-----

Too easy. How did you meet Colt? I know he used to live down the road from you in his Jim Ned days. (I am an old McMurry guy myself)

Richard gets the 1000 pts!
You are absolutely correct. In June he went to Jim Ned to speak at a small fundraiser banquet. I of course had to go and the rest was history. He was extremely generous signing everything and posing for pics with everybody (about 150 total in attendance).

I root for two teams: Penn State and whoever is playing Notre Dame.

Let's just say this is my favorite Notre Dame game of all time. ;)

[video=youtube;Ku5KHpLs2jA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku5KHpLs2jA[/video]

Seems somewhat similar to my favorite Georgia game of all time... ;)

[video=youtube;4oH1u0cEaOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oH1u0cEaOA&feature=PlayList&p=1F6AF532BFFC189D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4[/video]

Yes, this is what I think about your Pitt Kitts:

Wow, how the game has changed. There was this quote from the video: "Cavanaugh shredded the Georgia defense for nearly 200 yards." Of course, when Tony Dorsett runs for more than 200 yards, you probably don't need to pass for much.

I remember watching that game with my Dad. He said Matt Robinson (QB for UGA) was the only guy who showed up to play!

Tony Dorsett is just one of many examples of why Western PA produces the best football players in the country. No other area can boast of the QB talent especially that the WPIAL has brought forth to this nation.

Matthew Stafford aside (whose future remains to be seen), Georgia has not always produced great pro quarterbacks, at least in the Vince Dooley and post-Dooley era (Fran Tarkington, of course, was one of the greatest pro QBs of all time, but that was a long time ago). An example in in the 1981 Sugar Bowl video above. If you watch the whole thing, you will hear near the end an announcer say "And Georgia finally completes a pass." That was Buck Belue, Georgia's QB, finally making a connection. He graduated from Georgia, tried his hand at baseball, played some football in the USFL, and is now a sportscaster in Atlanta. Early in that game he threw a long pass that should have been a long gainer, but the receiver dropped the ball. Thereafter, Georgia did not complete a pass until the late 3rd or early 4th quarter (and I think they only completed 1 or 2)! Vince Dooley, one of the most conservative play-calling coaches ever, was content to just keep handing the ball off to Herschel Walker and trust his defense and special teams to hold the other team in check. And when you've got one of the greatest RBs in history in your backfield, can you blame him?

BTW, western PA might be famous for producing QBs, but Hershel was born in south-central GA, about 30 miles from where I grew up. When I was in the 7th grade, I watched his high school team destroy our high school something like 49-0 in the first round of the playoffs. One of my classmates' brother was QB for our hs school team. The schools were so small that many of the players had to play both offense and defense; hence Hershel also played LB for the other team. Hershel intercepted at least two passes in that game, one of which he returned for a TD. My friend said his brother always bragged that he threw a TD pass to Hershel. ;)

I predict a two time Heisman winner this year. His name Sam Bradford! However, he will have to keep his hair trimmed this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back