Christ on the cross question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccravens

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello,

Apologies if this question isn't in the correct area. I was listening to the sermon yesterday by a yound preacher. In discussing Christ's sacrifice on the cross, he made statements to the effect: "Jesus died on the cross as a sinner, not as God," and also that "Jesus was a lost (unsaved) person on the cross, and was not on the cross as God." That sounded a little unfamiliar, so I started to do some studying and thinking about it. Coming here for opinions is part of that process.

So I have some questions about this.

*is he essentially correct in what he stated?
*if not, is this just possibly the result of a young preacher being imprecise on his wording, or in putting his thoughts together?
*did Christ divest himself of His diety on the cross (that seems to be this preacher's implication)?
*if Christ divested/emptied/set aside His diety on the cross, in what way did he do so?

Many thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Please someone correct me if I’m wrong, but that sounds Nestorian, though I doubt it intended to be. An elder of mine has told me many times that precision of language is crucial when articulating theology, I imagine he’s being imprecise here.

Hello,

Apologies if this question isn't in the correct area. I was listening to the sermon yesterday by a yound preacher. In discussing Christ's sacrifice on the cross, he made statements to the effect: "Jesus died on the cross as a sinner, not as God," and also that "Jesus was a lost (unsaved) person on the cross, and was not on the cross as God." That sounded a little unfamiliar, so I started to do some studying and thinking about it. Coming here for opinions is part of that process.

So I have some questions about this.

*is he essentially correct in what he stated?
*if not, is this just possibly the result of a young preacher being imprecise on his wording, or in putting his thoughts together?
*did Christ divest himself of His diety on the cross (that seems to be this preacher's implication)?
*if Christ divested/emptied/set aside His diety on the cross, in what way did he do so?

Many thanks for the help.
Jesus did not die as a sinner on the cross. He is forever the sinless, spotless, Lamb of God, who when He was imputed His ppl’s sins, was declared a sinner, yet was not a sinner. This young preacher needs a deeper understanding of all that imputation teaches.

Jesus at no time divested Himself of His divinity. He at no time ceased to be God.

This is the teaching of Kenneth Copland, Joyce Meyer, Kenneth Hagin, Sr. & Jr., et al.

Q. 38. Why was it requisite that the Mediator should be God?​

A. It was requisite that the Mediator should be God, that he might sustain and keep the human nature from sinking under the infinite wrath of God, and the power of death, give worth and efficacy to his sufferings, obedience, and intercession; and to satisfy God’s justice,procure his favour, purchase a peculiar people, give his Spirit to them, conquer all their enemies, and bring them to everlasting salvation.​

Christ was not a sinner. 2nd Corinthians 5:21 said he became sin in the legal sense of the term and representation by dying in our place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back