The thirst of Christ on the cross and Ezekiel 23:32-34

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jash Comstock

Puritan Board Freshman
I have often been confused by the "I thirst" cry of Christ on the cross. Recently I stumbled across this little tidbit in my study, and was wondering if I am on the right track. In Ezekiel
23:32-34 God rebukes his covenant people through the prophet, and threatens them with His cup of wrath. Then, in Isaiah 51:22 God gives a glorious promise; "Behold, I have taken from your hand the cup of staggering; the bowl of my wrath you shall drink it no more." Could the "I thirst" of Christ on the cross be a fulfillment of this promise, and a transfer of Ezekiel's threat? Was he thirsting for the wrath of God, because of the depth of his love for us? Am I on the right track?

I have often been confused by the "I thirst" cry of Christ on the cross. Recently I stumbled across this little tidbit in my study, and was wondering if I am on the right track. In Ezekiel
23:32-34 God rebukes his covenant people through the prophet, and threatens them with His cup of wrath. Then, in Isaiah 51:22 God gives a glorious promise; "Behold, I have taken from your hand the cup of staggering; the bowl of my wrath you shall drink it no more." Could the "I thirst" of Christ on the cross be a fulfillment of this promise, and a transfer of Ezekiel's threat? Was he thirsting for the wrath of God, because of the depth of his love for us? Am I on the right track?

I don't believe we should read into this that deep. I simply think Jesus was thirsty, and the "cup" was of the wrath was the punishishment the Father meted out.

It may be, that Christ having drunk the cup of divine wrath to the dregs, now could partake of some respite in order that He might be able to cry the great cry of triumph "It is finished!" and then dismiss His spirit to Heaven.

After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. (John 19:28)

When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. (John 19:30)

What Scripture was fulfilled by Christ crying "It is finished" or "Tetelestai"? Everything in the OT about the earthly redemptive work of the Messiah in prophecy and type, in a real sense, but Psalm 22:31 is a particular verse that was fulfilled on that day:

they shall come and proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn,
that he has done it. (ESV)

:2cents:

Last edited:
also there has always been the question as to why Christ first refused the wine at first but then took it before he died...

Sarah
also there has always been the question as to why Christ first refused the wine at first but then took it before he died...

Well that would tie-in with what I have said above. In refusing the mixture He was showing His determination to fully undergo the suffering for His people's sins without any dulling or numbing of the pain; in calling for a drink once He had drank that suffering to its dregs, He was enabling Himself to cry that great cry of victory.

My mouth is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;(Ps 22:15, ESV)

Psalm 69:21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

Sarah

Well that would tie-in with what I have said above. In refusing the mixture He was showing His determination to fully undergo the suffering for His people's sins without any dulling or numbing of the pain; in calling for a drink once He had drank that suffering to its dregs, He was enabling Himself to cry that great cry of victory.

I wasn't replying to your post I was replying to Earl's

My mouth is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;(Ps 22:15, ESV)

I wasn't replying to your post I was replying to Earl's

so was the cup that Christ asked to be taken from him

Though I agree with Richard in all he said I do believe the "cup" was the punishment from the Father for our sin which Jesus asked to have removed if it were possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back