Chipper Hits 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
Seeing how Chipper Jones might have played his last game, here is a homemade video of his 400th home run. What a swing. What a player!

[video=youtube;dOcgpFAtIq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOcgpFAtIq0[/video]

Thanks for posting this Ken.

I do think we've seen the last of Chipper in light of this recent injury and I know I'm not alone with the gut feelings here in Atlanta. Chipper is really one of the greatest players of all time and a sure fire first ballot Hall-Of-Famer. His switch hitting numbers are right up at the top of the list, surpassing the likes of Mickey Mantle, and he has been as solid as anyone in the field at 3rd base. But most of all Chipper was the quintessential leader on a team that won 14 division titles in a row and he is a World Series champion. There is not much left wanting on that resume. If anything, he may only regret the injuries over the years but in some respects that makes his accomplishments all the more impressive. Never one to be suspected of performance enhancing drugs, never implicated in unsavory off-the-field activities, and never questioned for his work ethic or personal integrity, Chipper was a rare breed in Major League Baseball during a regrettable era.

If he decides to rehab and take another crack at it, I will be right up front cheering for him. I only hope we don't see him somewhere else...like as a DH in Toronto or something silly like that.

Which brings up another great point. How many players in MLB do you see spend their entire career on the same team anymore in this age of free agency? It is very rare. In my book Chipper is the greatest Brave of all time. I love Henry Aaron and don't want to diminish anything he accomplished or what he meant to the city, but he spent a great portion of his career in Milwaukee. Chipper and the tomahawk are synonymous.

Hat's off... :applause:

Chipper is not in the same league with Hank Aaron. He is in a much more elite league than Hank Aaron. Aaron was a hero of mine as a child. As an adult, and especially as a citizen of his hometown there is no bloom left on his rose. As a hitter he was incredible, but that is about it.

Chipper on the other hand is a class act on and off the field. Even though I am not a fan of the Braves I think highly of him. He is tough, smart, talented, skilled, mentors younger players, and is an all around nice guy from everything I've read.

Keep in mind that Chipper played a variety of positions as needed by his team: 3B, SS, and LF (and then he moved back to 3B). His MVP season in 1999, where he consistently crushed the Mets' pitching in September, is the stuff legends are made of.

It is quite ironic, though, that his career with the Braves might begin and end with the same knee injury. He was supposed to have come up in 1994, but he torn up his knee just before the start of the season. Now this.

The only way he doesn't come back, In my humble opinion, is if he doesn't feel like he'll help the team in any capacity. He knows how much money the Braves owe him the next couple of years and won't allow them to pay him if he doesn't feel like he'll live up to that kind of dough. He's always been unselfish that way. And yes, he's a definite first ballot HOF. I think he'll be back next year and maybe as some kind of player/coach for Perez or Gonzalez.

It really is too bad that this season (instead of an early exist in August) can't be his swan song. It looks like the Braves are headed to the post season, and that would be a great way to end his career (along with Bobby Cox).

I like Chipper but I disagree with the post on his personal life. He had an affair on his first wife and divorced her. I don't think he's what I want as an example for our youthn to look up to.

Chipper's Career Numbers:

In 2261 games and 8142 AB: 1505 Runs scored, 2490 hits, 436 HR and 1491 RBIs, .306 career BA, .405 OBP and .536 Slugging (.941 OPS)

I like Chipper but I disagree with the post on his personal life. He had an affair on his first wife and divorced her. I don't think he's what I want as an example for our youthn to look up to.

Like I said, I'm not a Braves fan. I was unaware of that.

Instead have them look up to sinless men like... ?

The man made a mistake and i believe it was quite some time ago. Give him a break

Keep in mind that Chipper played a variety of positions as needed by his team: 3B, SS, and LF (and then he moved back to 3B). His MVP season in 1999, where he consistently crushed the Mets' pitching in September, is the stuff legends are made of.

I believe that was the series where he said something to the effect that it was time for Mets fans to go back home and put on their Yankees gear. HA!

The crazy thing I remember, Ken, is that the Mets kept pitching to him. The knock against him prior to '99 was that you bring in a left-hander to pitch to him so that you make him bat from the right side, where he hits for average but not power. But he had worked on his stroke and was killing the ball that season, especially against the Mets. And they still kept pitching to him.

The crazy thing I remember, Ken, is that the Mets kept pitching to him. The knock against him prior to '99 was that you bring in a left-hander to pitch to him so that you make him bat from the right side, where he hits for average but not power. But he had worked on his stroke and was killing the ball that season, especially against the Mets. And they still kept pitching to him.

Very strange seeing it was only Brian Jordan hitting behind him. More proof that it was great players that carried mediocre Mets management that year.

It appears that rumors of Chipper's retirement were greatly exaggerated. He is hitting .300 with 20 at bats in Spring Training.

What's the word in the south on Chipper's future?

Chipper will be batting 3rd and playing 3rd on Opening Day. He has in his mind to play 2012 too, which will finish out his contract.

Running doesn't seem to be an issue. The biggest challenge will be moving laterally on defense, and planting on leg to make a throw. So far, so good in Spring Training.

I have always been amazed at how you sports guys keep up with this stuff. I can't remember what I did yesterday and yet you guys remember names, stats, and years. It truly amazes me. I can't even remember where I read quotes from in any particular book most of the time. My son Josh can do what you guys do also. It amazes me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back