Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
Any familiar or interessed :
Charles Simeon - HORAE HOMILETICAE: EXPOSITORY OUTLINES ON THE ENTIRE BIBLE
?

SGCB | HORAE HOMILETICAE: EXPOSITORY OUTLINES ON THE ENTIRE BIBLE

I have loved Charles Simeon's 'Expository Outlines' since I began to prapare sermons in my studies for the gospel ministry. As soon as I could, I acquired a set and I have consulted them almost weekly for over thirty years. Simeon is always suggestive and practical, whatever the passage. He opens up the text and applies it. He never wanders off the track down the rabbit trails of story-telling or speculation. Christ is always the center of his thought and the destination of his discourses. His outlines can still show young preachers the way to sound proclamation of Bible truth and Gospel grace. It would be wonderful to see these once more available to the Christian public." -Gordon Keddie, Pastor and Author

"[Horae Homileticae] is the best place to go for researching Simeon's theology. You can find his views on almost every key text in the Bible. What Simeon experienced in the word was remarkable. And it is so utterly different from the counsel that we receive today that it is worth looking at." - John Piper

"If you have the money to do this project, and enough orders to warrant it, I think it would be a monumental achievement for you, and a wonderful gift to the church!" - Dr. Don Kistler

These expository outlines (or 'skeletons') are not a verse-by-verse explanation of the English Bible. Rather, they are a chapter-by-chapter study with explanations of the most important and instructive verses in each chapter. SimeonÆs aim with this commentary is 'Instruction relative to the Composition of Sermons.' To this end, his exposition of the Scriptures is designed to maintain a focus on the more general aspects of a passage over and above possible treatments of particulars. His test for a sermon, as he teaches in Horae Homileticae, is threefold: does it humble the sinner, exalt the Saviour and promote holiness?

"If Wilberforce is the most famous evangelical layman in the Church of England, then Simeon is the most famous evangelical clergyman." - Who's Who in Christian History

Charles Simeon (1759 - 1836), Anglican clergyman and evangelical leader, was born in Reading and educated at Eton College and King's College, Cambridge. At Cambridge, the benefice of Holy Trinity Church became vacant and Simeon petitioned for and was appointed to the position. There, Simeon influenced thirteen to fourteen generations of students over the course of his fifty-four year ministry.

"[Simeon's] authority and influence extended from Cambridge to the most remote corners of England, his real sway in the Church was far greater than that of any primate." -Thomas Macaulay

PROJECTED PUBLISHING DATE: JANUARY 2009, THE 250OTH ANNIVERSARY OF HIS BIRTH

SGCB Price: $350.00 (list price $1,000.00)

Table of Contents

Vol. 1: Genesis to Leviticus

683 pages
Vol. 2: Numbers to Joshua

627 pages
Vol. 3: Judges to 2 Kings

566 pages
Vol. 4: Chronicles to Job

512 pages
Vol. 5: Psalms, I – LXXII

622 pages
Vol. 6: Psalms, LXXIII – CL

529 pages
Vol. 7: Proverbs to Isaiah XXVI

631 pages
Vol. 8: Isaiah, XXVII – LXVI

654 pages
Vol. 9: Jeremiah to Daniel

571 pages
Vol. 10: Hosea to Malachi

630 pages
Vol. 11: Matthew

620 pages
Vol. 12: Mark – Luke

568 pages
Vol. 13: Luke XVII to John XII

575 pages
Vol. 14: John XIII to Acts

604 pages
Vol. 15: Romans

600 pages
Vol. 16: 1 & 2 Corinthians

644 pages
Vol. 17: Galatians – Ephesians

519 pages
Vol. 18: Philippians to 1 Timothy

552 pages
Vol. 19: 2 Timothy to Hebrews

554 pages
Vol. 20: James to Jude

574 pages
Vol. 21: Revelation – Claude’s Essay – Indexes

579 pages

There is something broken about Logos when PRINTED books can be sold CHEAPER than what Logos sells it for. Logos took care of their costs with the Prepub and wouldn't have done it until they had enough Prepub orders to cover their costs. After that, it's a matter of simply sending you a CD (at worst) or just letting you download it over the Internet (at best).

Logos needs to take a long and hard look at their pricing when a company can significantly sell the printed books for 33% *less* than what Logos sells it for.

If SGCB can sell it for $350, Logos should not be charging anything more than $250. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back