Calvin on Election

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Puritan Board Graduate
For those who have read Calvin’s institutes on Election and Reprobation…. Would you say Calvin’s articulation is different from Westminster’s summary?

Upon first reading Calvin’s institutes on election, he seems to describe more symmetry regarding election and reprobation than Westminster’s active selection vs. actively passing over language.

This is my first reading of the institutes so I admit my ignorance. Looking for insight from those better versed historically with Cavin’s stance and/or any post-institute progression.

Would you say Calvin’s articulation is different from Westminster’s summary?
Yes, along the lines that you sense some difference.

Ken Stewart articulates this helpfully in his book, Ten Myths About Calvinism: Recovering the Breadth of the Reformed Tradition (IVP Academic, 2011). This is the second myth that he treats: "Calvin's view of predestination must be ours [Calvinists]."

The church as an entity (both at Dordt and Westminster) chose to say things more carefully, and a bit differently, than did Calvin.

Peace,
Alan

Yes, along the lines that you sense some difference.

Ken Stewart articulates this helpfully in his book, Ten Myths About Calvinism: Recovering the Breadth of the Reformed Tradition (IVP Academic, 2011). This is the second myth that he treats: "Calvin's view of predestination must be ours [Calvinists]."

The church as an entity (both at Dordt and Westminster) chose to say things more carefully, and a bit differently, than did Calvin.

Peace,
Alan
Thanks for the resource Dr. Strange. I have enjoyed Calvin on this subject and tend to agree with his basic reasoning. He just seems tiny bit more (or too) comfortable with some dogmatic statements on reprobation. However, Calvin does fence his position in nicely by stating that though it may appear "unfair", who are we as creatures to question and attribute injustice with God (my own paraphrasing). Once I finish up volume II of his institutes, I may check out the work you reference as my next read.

P.S. I hope you have been well my MS brother.:detective:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back