Calvin in Cinema

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard King

Puritan Board Senior
The thread on westerns made me think of this quote and I thought perhaps there are other random quotes or scenes in movies that sort of teach or reference reformed thinking.

This quote is basically about total depravity if you think about it for half a second.

From Unforgiven...

Will Munny (Clint Eastwood ): It's a crazy thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess he had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

Don't know why but Clint has a few of those 'reformed quotes'.

"Hey wait, you forgot your fortune cookie - it reads.. you're $#!& out of luck."

"A man's gotta know his limitations."

"I know what you're thinkin' punk, you're thinkin': "Did he fire six shots, or only five?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a .44 Magnum; the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question, "Do I feel lucky?"... Well, do ya, punk?!"

This last quote isn't really reformed but I thought it was a great paraphrase of Pascal's Wager.

Some from The Matrix:

Morpheus: If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.

Agent Smith: You're empty.
Neo: So are you.

Morpheus: I see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up. Ironically, that's not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo?
Neo: No.
Morpheus: Why not?
Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.

I never saw the movie Hardcore and I doubt I want to but the author of "Calvinism in the Las Vegas Airport" (Mouw) tells of this scene in the movie...

In the movie Hardcore, a pious Calvinist elder tries unsuccessfully to explain the TULIP theology of his Dutch Reformed faith to a prostitute in the Las Vegas airport. This incongruous conversation demonstrates how Calvinism is often perceived today: irrelevant, harsh, even disrespectful.

Mel Gibson's character in "Signs"....

"What you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs... sees miracles? or do you believe that people just get lucky? Is it possible... there are no coincidences?"

[video=youtube;7HRWrBD2Quk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HRWrBD2Quk[/video]

Last edited:
From 'Unforgiven':

Little Bill: I don't deserve this...to die like this. I was building a house.
William Munny: Deservins' got nothing to do with it.

There is a vampire genre film called The Addiction. I believe that even the White Horse Pub mentioned it in one of their broadcasts a few years back. In came out in 1995.

"We do evil, because we are evil."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back