John Calvin Movie / Documentary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PointyHaired Calvinist

Puritan Board Junior
I've come to the conclusion that not even Christians at this point plan on making a movie about John Calvin's life (I HOPE this is wrong!). Are there any GOOD documentaries about his life? There is one put out by Witherspoon Press but this is a branch of the PCUSA and I saw the most "conservative" contributor was from Fuller Seminary, so no thanks. Any suggestions anyone?

Hello Johnathan. The trouble is these days that they don't let the truth get in the way of a good story line. If some-one made one how true would it be.
Like the recent TV "The Bible" series! I watched about 20 minutes of it and that was enough. The Ninja angels were the last straw for me!

I dont think Calvin's life necessarily lends it self to a good documentary. It is hard to express what I am thinking so please bear with me. Calvin did not really "do" alot, in the sense that his life was not particularly eventful, when compared to Luther. The events of his life are also very much wrapped up in theology and politics which would be hard to cover in a documentary format. To understand why things happened in Calvin's life you would have to cover a lot of theology which would not make for a particularly interesting documentary (well it might be interesting to us, but we are kinda a niche). I hope I am making sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back