Brother to stumble, weaker brother, witness

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are we to deal with Jesus' first miracle? He did not merely change a thimble full of water to wine, but he changed a whole lot. And this after the guests had already drank.

Are we to charge Jesus with insensitivity or state that he contributed to the sins of others? Or that drunkenness did not exist at that time or was a rarity? Or that wine was really grape juice?

Agreeing with Scott a bit here, it does seem that the social context of where one drinks is important, though. I do not feel comfortable even entering bars (and I generally do not), since those are places not to enjoy a drink with a meal, but to drink. But, it seems that a drink in the course of a meal (the meal being the focus), at an eating establishment, is okay.

Also, what one drinks also seems important. I don't plan to ever touch hard, concentrated liquor unless I am dying in a snow-storm and a dog with a cask of brandy saves me (like in the cartoons), or if in extreme pain, or dying. It seems like only in the past 300 years or so mankind has been able to distill liquor to its present potent form. 100 proof whiskey did not exist in Christ's day, right? An extra measure of caution might be needed in our own day.

How are we to deal with Jesus' first miracle? He did not merely change a thimble full of water to wine, but he changed a whole lot. And this after the guests had already drank.

Are we to charge Jesus with insensitivity or state that he contributed to the sins of others? Or that drunkenness did not exist at that time or was a rarity? Or that wine was really grape juice?

Agreeing with Scott a bit here, it does seem that the social context of where one drinks is important, though. I do not feel comfortable even entering bars (and I generally do not), since those are places not to enjoy a drink with a meal, but to drink. But, it seems that a drink in the course of a meal (the meal being the focus), at an eating establishment, is okay.

Also, what one drinks also seems important. I don't plan to ever touch hard, concentrated liquor unless I am dying in a snow-storm and a dog with a cask of brandy saves me (like in the cartoons), or if in extreme pain, or dying. It seems like only in the past 300 years or so mankind has been able to distill liquor to its present potent form. 100 proof whiskey did not exist in Christ's day, right? An extra measure of caution might be needed in our own day.

Good observations.

It illustrates one underlying aspect of this difficult area that has, is, and will continue to cause so much division in the Body. We cannot view ourselves as an island unto ourselves. We witness for the Lord, and we must love our neighbor.

I was on a short term missions trip once that had a signed honor code not to drink (Christian organization). Three others said they were going to drink because we were out "alone," would it bother me. I said yes. They drank anyway. Later, God used the experience with a group of Islamic women who "shunned" the others who drank, but were open to me. They even let me sit with them and I sang hymns to them. Only later did I come to understand how unusual this was.

Granted, it's not right to judge someone by whether they drink alcoholic beverages, just like its not right to judge someone by how they dress, or their command of the language, etc. But people do it, every day. I'm not even sure the people who drank and broke their honor code, perhaps offended me (I may have been struggling with that too, can't recall) understood the broader Christian principles at stake.

In the end, I got an audience with the Islamics, shared deep Christian truth with them, etc.

These things have also happened among the unsaved, nominal Roman Catholics, etc.

The visible effects of alcoholism are horrific in almost every major American city, it has broken many, many homes- and understandably, many are sensitive to it.

Granted, the sensitivity might be viewed as their weakness, but it might also be viewed as lawful but not expedient on our part because our highest duty is to love God and our neighbor, not seek our own way in everything.

This is a strange thing to the unregenerate.

But not at all strange to the new creature in Christ, who must live thinking about how his life impacts his neighbor. Romans 14 is one place that discusses this, but there are many, many more.

We all need to get serious about both the liberty AND the responsibility we have in Christ.

The Apostle Paul's words in I Corinthians 10 are appropriate:
28 But if any man say unto you, this is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:

29 Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?

30 For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?

31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

The lawful but not expedient aspect is particularly appropriate to a circumstance like described in the original post- a public event with many people who are not known. Indiscriminately drinking among them- men, women and children, some perhaps struggling alcoholics or "binge," some young people will be setting a life pattern.
Now, if every single neighbor there knows every neighbor, man woman and child who will be there, no outsiders or guests, and knows where they are coming from, it might be different.
But this even involves cleaning up the beer cans or smelling alcohol on others breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back