Books on the Canon of Scripture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSilverMoon

Puritan Board Senior
Does anyone know of any good books or other resources specifically dedicated to the development of the Canon, especially the New Testament? I know this is addressed in good church history texts, but am not aware of any works dedicated to the Canon itself, especially from an apologetics perspective. Anyone know of good resources on this topic?

I think Herman Ridderbos, Redemptive History and the New Testament Scriptures is very helpful in this regard.

The Inspiration and Canonicity of the Scriptures, by R. Laird Harris. Very complete regarding the Old Testament as well.

The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance, by Bruce M. Metzger. I don't care so much about his "liberal" credentials. This book is an important work on the subject. Metzger is noteworthy for defending the principle that what we have in the Bible is a collection (made by fallible men) of infallible books, so judged by the Christians reading and prizing them. At odds with the Roman notion that the infallible church created the Bible we have by her fiat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back