Books on Holiness and Worldliness

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenderPriest

Puritan Board Junior
Hey folks,

I'm looking for book recommendations (from the most obvious to the most obscure) on the subjects of Holiness and Worldliness. In looking at the things the Lord has been kind to continually bring to my attention in this past year, worldliness (the putting off of the flesh) and holiness (the putting on of Christ) are the two areas that rise to the to the top of what I think the Lord would want me to give special study to in this coming year. (Though of course these are important areas to give attention to anyways!) So, at the moment I'm looking to compile a list of book (new and old) that would help me in this pursuit in this next year. I appreciate any suggestions you have - though I don't necessarily promise to get them all!

Kindly yours,

I second Watson, Ryle, Sproul, Owen, and BridgesI also recommend (with discernment)
Intoxicated with Babylon by Steve Gallagher
I did not agree with everything he said and his theology is suspect at times but the book is convicting and teamed with Ryle it totally changed the way I see Holiness and worldliness

Although it is not explicitly dominated by the topic of holiness, it is very much implicit in
My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers.

Few books apart from Scripture will focus your mind, thoughts and desires on our Holy, Triune God than this devotional formatted book.

If you have Watson's book, J C Ryle's and John Owen's, you need very little else. However, I would add Walter Marshall's The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification. Also available at RHB The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification - Reformation Heritage Books This book is also a good one on Holiness: Practical Godliness: The Ornament of All Religion - Reformation Heritage Books

-----Added 12/12/2009 at 10:32:49 EST-----

You also mentioned worldliness. THE BEST book I have yet come across is Jeremiah Burrough's A Treatise on Worldly-Mindedness. The best book you'll ever read on the subject. I guarantee it. Available at RHB.

Although it is not explicitly dominated by the topic of holiness, it is very much implicit in

Few books apart from Scripture will focus your mind, thoughts and desires on our Holy, Triune God than this devotional formatted book.

Scott: I notice you mention this in some posts. Do you endorse all OC says? I have this book, but must read it and glean the truth from the entire sanctification, Keswick, 2nd blessing theology he believed.

Scott: I notice you mention this in some posts. Do you endorse all OC says? I have this book, but must read it and glean the truth from the entire sanctification, Keswick, 2nd blessing theology he believed.

My familiarity with Mr. Chambers' writings has been the devotional and a book, If You will Ask.

Only now am I becoming aware of his association with "Keswick" and the Arminian influence of that. He was, however, Baptist, converted under Mr. Spurgeon and appears to have been used by God to bear much good fruit, both during his life and after.

Maybe there is theology there that needs to be better assessed, particularly were he to be taken as a source of theology.

For practical help in devotions or understanding the power of prayer, these writings have been profoundly helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back