Books: Christ in the OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
Are there any good books on Christ in the Old Testament that you would recommend? Please share if they are: 1) highly academic, 2) middle of the road (in difficulty), or 3) Easy reading.

Thanks.

Oh, I guess I will add articles to this to, if you have them, let me know.

1) Middle of the road: "My God Is Yahweh" by M.B. Van't Veer - focuses on the life of Elijah from a redemptive-historical standpoint

2) Easy reading: S.G. De Graaf "Promise and Deliverance" - a four volume set that covers Genesis - Revelation (though not every event/story)

A single book that I find very helpful (a bit academic) is "Preaching Christ from the Old Testament: A Contemporary Hermeneutical Method" by Sidney Greidanus This was a really good book. This was a required read at PRTS for Preaching Christ from the Old Testament taught by Dr. David Murray.

1) Middle of the road: "My God Is Yahweh" by M.B. Van't Veer - focuses on the life of Elijah from a redemptive-historical standpoint

I haven't read this book, but I can say that from the points that Ralph Davis references in his 1 Kings commentary, it sounds outstanding.

I am reading Edward Taylor, Upon the Types of the Old Testament, and Thomas Taylor, Christ Revealed, or, The Old Testament Explained. Highly recommended but written in ye old Puritan style.

Ed Clowney has several books (search under his name at the WTS bookstore). I also have enjoyed Graeme Goldsworthy (again, look under his name at the WTS bookstore). These two authors are both fairly easy reading. Patrick Fairbairn has a masterpiece entitled "The Typology of Scripture." A very technical masterpiece of exegesis is by E.W. Hengstenberg in his Christology of the Old Testament (volumes 1 and 3 are available on books.google.com). Two books by Greg Beale deserve mention (middling difficulty), his book on the Temple and the Church's Mission, and We Become What We Worship, both outstanding. Then there is Fesko's book Last Things First, also middling in difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back