Book Publisher Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulCLawton

Puritan Board Freshman
Just a thought here - why wouldn't more publishers offer a subscription-based model along the lines of what Cruciform Press is doing? It couldn't work exactly the same way because most major publishers put out more than one book a month, but tell me you wouldn't pay $12/month to choose one new book from the latest offerings from P&R or RHB. Would also make the GREATEST GIFT EVER. I won't pretend to know very much about the publishing industry, but I imagine the guaranteed revenue from subscriptions would fit nicely into a business model.

Last edited:
It's not exactly practical for most reformed bookstores today. Most of the higher quality and better books running around nowadays are running at least $20 in value. Because of that, the publishing company will either have to increase the price of their subscription plan, or heavily restrict the books you can pick from. With either choice, customers will not buy the plan, and the plan will naturally have a low profit margin because you may be only making 20-40% profit instead of doubling your money.

Those two variables mixed together tend to run into failed business and marketing ideas.

Last edited:
Pre pub offerings are the subscription offerings of the past. But Bryan is correct. Given the size of the Reformed market there's no margin here to support that kind of pricing structure or concept. That is not to say it might not work if the price structure were more in line; but not for $12 a pop. That's cost for short run printings.
N.B. If one wants folks to respond to threads, best not treat the first responder shabbily. :judge:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back