Bless the Broken Road

Status
Not open for further replies.
How old are they? they're great.
I didn't know that song, but I really enjoyed listening to it! (very nice accompaniment too)

How old are they? they're great.
I didn't know that song, but I really enjoyed listening to it! (very nice accompaniment too)

Thanks, Jenny. That's a very popular country song here in the states. Emily is 11, Sarah is 9. Here's one Emily wrote herself (I helped with the chords) that we recorded...

school4princesses » You Need Jesus

She's gifted! and if the backing is you, you make a formidable team... the girls must both be very musical. To be able to sing as true as that in parts is quite something at that age. I would have thought they were teenagers at least!
I like that song of Emily's too, better than the first one in lots of ways.
I liked the "Broken Road" but I couldn't quite make out all the lyrics so I googled them. I don't know if you'll agree - when I read them, I was in two minds about it. On the one hand it's very moving to think of how God can and does direct our course even through such a 'broken road' On the other, I worried that at some level it was presenting an endorsement of serial relationships... I'm probably reading too much in. (and I know that's not what your girls are getting out of it!)

She's gifted! and if the backing is you, you make a formidable team... the girls must both be very musical. To be able to sing as true as that in parts is quite something at that age. I would have thought they were teenagers at least!
I liked the "Broken Road" but I couldn't quite make out all the lyrics so I googled them. I don't know if you'll agree - when I read them, I was in two minds about it. On the one hand it's very moving to think of how God can and does direct our course even through such a 'broken road' On the other, I worried that at some level it was presenting an endorsement of serial relationships... I'm probably reading too much in. (and I know that's not what your girls are getting out of it!)

Jenny, "Broken Road" was indeed originally written about a relationship between persons, thus the "my lover's arms" verse. The song has been covered by a couple of Christian performers in recent years, where the lyrics have been changed slightly. That's what we did with the"my Savior's arms". Not sure if the song really says anything of great importance or relevance, but it's a nice little song and fun to sing.

That is cool Rick.... Reminds me of my nieces. I have CD's of them singing and they sound a lot like your daughters. Great guitar playing.

Jenny, "Broken Road" was indeed originally written about a relationship between persons, thus the "my lover's arms" verse. The song has been covered by a couple of Christian performers in recent years, where the lyrics have been changed slightly. That's what we did with the"my Savior's arms". Not sure if the song really says anything of great importance or relevance, but it's a nice little song and fun to sing.
Sounds as though the lyrics I was looking at were not the ones Emily and Sarah were singing.... do you think you could post or PM your version some time if you have a minute? Thanks!

Here's the song's history... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bless_the_Broken_Road

I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

[Chorus:]
Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars
Pointing me on my way into my Savior's arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

[Chorus]

Now I'm just rolling home
Into my Savior's arms
This much I know is true
That led me straight to you

That led me straight to you.

Thanks, Rick! I see it only really needed one word changed. The song's got something, definitely in what you might call the redeemed version. I've bookmarked your original link to it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back