Biblical and Religious Psychology by Herman Bavinck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Crofter

Puritan Board Sophomore
For those who find value in reading Bavinck, his work Biblical and Religious Psychology is now available in English. It's not an area I have a great deal of interest in (especially for $39.99 - though if you are an e-book fan, it's half that), but when I have read Bavinck in other such areas, I usually come away the better for it.

I will get it from the bookshop of Covenant Protestant Reformed Church in Ballymena when they get it in stock. I did suggest to some PRCA friends of mine that they do more Dutch translations, so I am very pleased to see this one in print.

I will get it from the bookshop of Covenant Protestant Reformed Church in Ballymena when they get it in stock. I did suggest to some PRCA friends of mine that they do more Dutch translations, so I am very pleased to see this one in print.
I attended a public lecture a few years back by the editor of this book, Gregory Parker, Jr., and spoke with him for a bit afterwards (he is a professor at the university where one of my daughters studies). He learned Dutch just so he could read Bavinck and help translate the rest of the Bavinck's writings into English.

If someone is really into Bavinck, and doesnt mind woody translations; the Neo-Calvinism website has most of his works in HTML, including his journal articles and major publications in Dutch. A simple DeepL subscription at $10 a month allows one to read them. I only mention DeepL, while not at the level of human translation, is still leaps and bounds above Google Translate.

I have read a little of Bavinck's Biblical and Religious Psychology and find myself thinking back to what other post-Kantian writers, like Herman Dooyeweerd wrote on the topic. Despite being steeped in Netherlander thought, I found two sections interesting:
1. The Heredity of Sin,
2. The Human Soul,
A helpful footnote [which was probably not written by Bavinick, but instead by Dr. Marco Barone], alerts us to the influence of Friedrich Schleiermacher on Bavinck's thought.

Is it cheaper there? Is it available to the public at large?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back