Best books of 2009?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiu

Puritan Board Junior
What was your favorite book, or books even, that you read this year (didn't have to come out this year though). And why?

Mine was Amazon.com: 70 Great Christians: The Story of the Christian Church (9781871676808): Hanks Geoffrey: Books
because I was able to gain more insight on some really great Christian men and their simplicity, love of God, and dedication to service.

Another was Amazon.com: 1984 (Signet Classics) (9780451524935): George Orwell, Erich Fromm: Books
awesome to see the 60+year old predictions of society

and I'm currently reading Amazon.com: The Godly Man's Picture (Puritan Paperbacks) (9780851515953): Thomas Watson: Books
which is very good (of course the Puritan Paperbacks always are).

Amazon.com: Recovering the Reformed Confession (9781596381100): R Scott Clark: Books

Amazon.com: Beyond Culture Wars: Is America a Mission Field or Battlefield? (9780802408938): Michael Horton: Books

Amazon.com: The History and Character of Calvinism (9780195007435): J.T. McNeill: Books

RRC helped me to further understand what being Reformed means. Beyond Culture Wars helped me to reflect upon the church's role as it interacts with society and culture in general. Mcneill's account of the historical development of Calvinism impressed upon me my need for further study of historical theology.

Last edited:
Some of my favorite reads this year...

Amazon.com: A Theological Guide to Calvin's Institutes: Essays and Analysis (Calvin 500) (9781596380912): David W. Hall: Books

Amazon.com: The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, Documented (9780875528274): David N. Steele, Curtis C. Thomas, S. Lance Quinn: Books

Amazon.com: Reformed Doctrine of Predestination (9780875521121): Loraine Boettner: Books

Amazon.com: Chosen by God (9780842313353): R. C. Sproul: Books

Amazon.com: The Consequences of Ideas: Understanding the Concepts that Shaped Our World (9781581341720): R. C. Sproul: Books

Amazon.com: The Gospel as Taught by Calvin (9781848710306): R.C. Reed: Books

Amazon.com: Bondage of the Will, The (9780800753429): O. Johnston, Martin Luther, J. Packer: Books

Amazon.com: Postmillennialism: An Eschatology of Hope (9780875523897): Keith A. Mathison: Books

Amazon.com: Concise Theology: A Guide to Historic Christian Beliefs (9780842339605): J. I. Packer: Books

Amazon.com: The Thirty-nine Articles: Their Place and Use Today (9781573834131): J., I. Packer, R., T. Beckwith: Books

Amazon.com: Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God (Ivp Classics) (9780830834129): J. I. Packer: Books

Amazon.com: Basic Christianity (9780830833573): John R. W. Stott: Books

Amazon.com: The Cambridge Companion to Aquinas (Cambridge Companions to Philosophy) (9780521437691): Norman Kretzmann, Eleonore Stump: Books

Amazon.com: The Philosophy Of Aquinas (Westview Histories of Philosophy) (9780813365831): Robert Pasnau, Christopher Shields: Books

Amazon.com: The Cambridge Companion to Arabic Philosophy (Cambridge Companions to Philosophy) (9780521520690): Peter Adamson, Richard C. Taylor: Books

Amazon.com: A New Introduction to Bibliography (9781884718137): Philip Gaskell: Books

Nathan, that's a very impressive list you posted. I'm sure you were blessed in reading them. How did you find Martin Luther's Bondage of the Will?

The Sensualistic Philosophy -- R.L. Dabney
Faith and Rationality -- Alvin Plantinga and Nick Wolterstorff, eds.
Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview -- William Lane Craig and J.P. Moreland
The Great Christian Doctrine of Original Sin Defended -- Jonathan Edwards
Holy Scripture, the Ground and Pillar of the Faith, Volume I: A Biblical Defense of Sola Scriptura -- David T. King
Theonomy in Christian Ethics -- Greg Bahnsen

Bavinck Reformed Dogmatics, Vol. 1
Calvin Institutes (again)
R. Scott Clark, ed. Covenant, Justification, and Pastoral Ministry
Estelle, Fesko, Van Drunnen, eds. The Law is Not of Faith
T. H. L. Parker The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God
Bucer Instruction in Christian Love
Rehnman Divine Discourse
David Herbert Donald Lincoln (apologies to all Confederates)
Usrula K Le Guin The Farthest Shore

A Body of Practical Divinity by Thomas Watson

A great doctrinal book that was also very devotional (maybe because it was a series of sermons put into book form?). I walked away from this book thinking that I learned a lot and that "God is great!"

Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin

I read this as part of the 500 year deal. There is a lot to take in, and I will need to reread sections many times throughout my life, but I was pleasantly surprised by how "easy a read" for a 500 year old big book this was.

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

This quickly climbed the ladder as one of my favorite works of fiction. When I got done I wanted to read it again. I enjoyed the characters, the subjects discussed, and the writing style.

Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

May not be the best book series around, but I have enjoyed it so far.

Thats quite a list you have there Nathan. You are a voracious reader!

-----Added 12/22/2009 at 11:20:17 EST-----

Thanks for all the responses. I will add some of these titles to my reading list for 2010.

I have read two book that have come out recently which I thought this thread was originally about. I would recommend everyone to read both of these two.

Amazon.com: A Theological Guide to Calvin's Institutes: Essays and Analysis (Calvin 500) (9781596380912): David W. Hall: Books

Amazon.com: Marrow of Modern Divinity (9781845504793): Edward Fisher: Books

I should of titled the thread: "Best books you read this year" or "Best books you read in 2009."
At the same time, it doesn't only have to be older books. New books work too.
Thanks for the recommendations.

Tell the Truth by Will Metzger.

Tactics by Greg Koukl. This book offers a method on how to deal with the objections that are raised against the Christian faith.

The Benefits of Providence by James Spiegel.

The Love of Wisdom: A Christian Introduction to Philosophy by Steve Cowan and James Spiegel.

On Free Choice of the Will by Augustine.

Ditto many of the above,plus:

Tactics by Greg Koukl. A great book on dealing with unbelievers.

Why We're Not Emergent by DeYoung and Kluck. A good treatment of the, like, emergent dudes

Jesus: Made in America by Stephen Nichols. Jesus has been undergoing an ongoing morphing in the US over the past 300 years, but not necessarily elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back