Bedtime stories with good morals for my boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Hello;

Every night me and my son do bedtime stories.

Sure, there is a story from the bible too, but I also try to make up an outlandish story with lizards and all the animals he loves and I also try to put a moral in there too.

Also, I try to incorporate the "old standards" too, The 3 little pigs, the little train that could, etc, so that he grows up with the same stories that I did to some degree. I don't want his home culture to disapear totally.

What are some bedtime stories that are very simple, with animals and with a clear moral lesson.

Tonight we did the tortoise and the hare and I tried to paint character traits of the hare and the turtle. THen I told him of Zacheus and we sanf about him (though I am not sure if it truly was a sycamore tree).

What are some more?

I like Aesop's tales, but some of them would be hard for him to understand.

Can I bump this....anybody else got anything [crickets chirping.....]

How 'bout you homeschooling moms?

I guess I'll stick to Aesop then and the Bible

Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales. E. Nesbit's books are probably the best books for children currently extant. Winnie the Pooh and Paddington Bear are also very nice. The Wind in the Willows is always good, and I'm sure your son would enjoy hearing you sing,

"Was it the King? Or Kitchener?
No! It was Mr. Toad"

And you can always tell him tales from history: Theodoret's qualified condemnation of Nestorius, the bravery of the Maccabees, the strong repartee of Winston Churchill, the exploits of Wong Fei Hung....

Fairy Tales. Grimm reigns supreme, but you would need to check some of them beforehand.

And although the following book is by the Dark Lord Leithart, it is masterful!
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Words-Family-Stories-Proverbs/dp/1591280141/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204246951&sr=8-1"]Wise Words[/ame]

If your children imbibe these stories, they will grow up with a wisdom and moral insight that few theologians would have. And they are quite entertaining, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back