Bart Erhman on The Daily Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, that wasn't funny! I want my two minutes back! :down:

Andrew, you failed. Could you not teach that poor fellow anything? :)

Originally posted by BobVigneault
Hey, that wasn't funny! I want my two minutes back! :down:

Concur!

Andrew, you failed. Could you not teach that poor fellow anything? :)

I took a semester with Dr. Ehrman just a few months after my conversion to Christianity from the Baha'i Faith. I prayed for him earnestly but was in no position at the time to debate him. I did well in the class but it was spiritual torture. His hardened heart came through in all of his lectures. But it showed me how much modern scholarship is based not on "facts" but on a willingness to supress the truth in ungodliness. He still needs the prayers of the saints. :pray2:

I would like to publicly debate* him.

* Hit him in the face with a baseball bat.
While I pretty much exploded with laughter at seeing this comment, we should probably refrain from making such intentions of doing physical harm to an opponent public ;)

Last edited:
Concur!

I took a semester with Dr. Ehrman just a few months after my conversion to Christianity from the Baha'i Faith. I prayed for him earnestly but was in no position at the time to debate him. I did well in the class but it was spiritual torture. His hardened heart came through in all of his lectures. But it showed me how much modern scholarship is based not on "facts" but on a willingness to supress the truth in ungodliness. He still needs the prayers of the saints. :pray2:

I also took Ehrman's class on the New Testament. However, Ehrman was off doing some sort of scholarly thing somewhere so one of his PhD students was teaching in his stead (we still used his textbooks). This past spring I also sat in on the very last lecture of the semester since that's when he usually tells the story of his time in the Church and eventual apostasy and I didn't get to hear it when I took the class due to his absence. Did you get to hear that story when you had him?

I also took Ehrman's class on the New Testament. However, Ehrman was off doing some sort of scholarly thing somewhere so one of his PhD students was teaching in his stead (we still used his textbooks). This past spring I also sat in on the very last lecture of the semester since that's when he usually tells the story of his time in the Church and eventual apostasy and I didn't get to hear it when I took the class due to his absence. Did you get to hear that story when you had him?

I think I did hear a personal account of his apostasy (obviously not the word he used) but it has been a long time. What were your impressions / recollections from that story?

I just found out that this guy co-authored a book defending the canon, one that has been highly reccommended - scary.

I think I did hear a personal account of his apostasy (obviously not the word he used) but it has been a long time. What were your impressions / recollections from that story?

In short, he was a fiery evangelical (converted in high school) for some time, went to Moody Bible Institute for his undergraduate, then went to study at Princeton with Bruce Metzger. He wanted to be salt & light in the secular realm of scholarship and ended up being convinced by the textual critics that the bible is not God's infallible word.

In short, he was a fiery evangelical (converted in high school) for some time, went to Moody Bible Institute for his undergraduate, then went to study at Princeton with Bruce Metzger. He wanted to be salt & light in the secular realm of scholarship and ended up being convinced by the textual critics that the bible is not God's infallible word.

Thanks -- yes, I do recall the Moody-Princeton trail. The wisdom of this world will be confounded though, praise God!

1 Corinthians 1
1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back