Assurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhtuck

Inactive User
Looking for a little help here...

Our pastor has been preaching some very good sermons through the book of Hebrews since last fall. As a result of these sermons, some of the young ladies in a Bible Study that my wife leads have begun to doubt whether or not they actually know the awesome God of Hebrews! My wife feels a little over her head, so she asked me for some advice. I also felt over my head, but I think the best thing to do for the girls would be to aid their own self-examination. I know that saying things like "Well, have you accepted Christ into your heart?" or "Maybe Max Lucado's latest will help you out..." just won't do.

However... I know some people who wrote long and well on assurance.... The Puritans!!!!

Are there any Puritan books that come to mind that you think would be of service to us and to the ladies in my wife's small group? I told Katie (my wife) that she should read The Religous Affections to help clear her thinking about things like evidences, but the fact of the matter is that we've been waiting for our copy of that book from the Discerning Reader for about 6 months now!!! I don't think we should hold our breath about that...

First, if they are struck by a sense of the Law, which it sounds like they may be on the limited information you've given, you must realize - every Christian must realize - that true assurance of salvation NEVER rest within. John Calvin and almost all the magisterial reformers understood that true faith and thus assurance comes from the objective look to Christ alone, never from within!

Christ is not found within. Continued self examination and introspection will only point the soul's eye to that which can NEVER be just in the eyes of a holy God, the sinful self. The Gospel, that is the final singular once for all time finished work of Christ is ENTIRELY outside of us. It is alien to us. That is why it must be preached TO us, as opposed to the Law which comes natural to us. In Christ all wrath for sin has been mitigated and ALL righteousness fulfilled. Bring forth Christ crucified, risen and ascended to them. If they are stricken by the Law now, DO NOT SEND THEM IN UPON THEMSELVES. The Christian must rest in Christ alone.

A good puritan book: "The Poor Doubting Christian Drawn to Christ", by Thomas Hooker

Short and excellent.

Hooker came along at a key time for the Puritans in American history. Puritan introspection had reached a point of morbidity and as such the objective Gospel was becoming obscured by subjectivism.

There is a story of a woman during this time that was so alarmed of the uncertainty of the condition of her soul that she finally threw her child into a well and said, "Now, I know I'm going to hell for killing my own child." The point of that story is that the state of certainty of hell was preferred by that woman than the state of uncertainty about either. Thus, we see Satan's true devices.

I love the Puritans, but for this issue I'd go to the Reformers any day of the week.

[Edited on 3-10-2005 by Larry Hughes]

Go to Ligonier Ministries, they have control of Soli Deo Gloria now and I think "The Religious Affections" can be purchased through them. Ligonier responds promptly & courteously. They might have Hooker's book as well.

BTW: I can't remember who wrote it but there's one called "A Bruised Reed" that's supposed to be good.

What about "A sure guide to heaven - Joseph Alleine"? He goes through the attributes/indicators of an unbeliever vs believer in a powerful way.

Matthew

[Edited on 3-10-2005 by Matthew Glover]

I actually just read J.C. Ryle's chapter on Assurance in his book Holiness today. It is very good and balanced. At the end of the chapter he devotes about ten pages to certain divines (Puritan and otherwise) with various quotes on the matter. I think this would be a good book to recommend-- not just to learn about assurance, but to gain clearer views on Justification, Sanctification, Growth in Grace, The Fight of Fath, etc.

Petrus Dathenus, The Pearl of Christian Comfort (Grand Rapids: Reformation Heritage Books, 1997). This is a real gem for anyone struggling with assurance of their salvation.

:book2:

Robin

Originally posted by Robin
Petrus Dathenus, The Pearl of Christian Comfort (Grand Rapids: Reformation Heritage Books, 1997). This is a real gem for anyone struggling with assurance of their salvation.

:book2:

Robin

Definitely. This is a Reformation classic.

How Can I be Sure I am a Christian by Don Whitney is an excellent treatment of assurance. You can find info at www.spiritualdisciplines.org

The Chapter titles are:

1 Assurance of Salvation-Is It Possible?
2 Having Doubts About Your Salvation
3 The Basis of Assurance
4 An Inner Confirmation
5 Signs of Eternal Life
6 A Spiritual Mind-Set (click to read)
7 Things That Erode Our Assurance
8 Common Problems with Uncertainty
8.1 Those Truly Converted as Children May Experience Special Difficulties with Assurance
8.2 Stay-at-Home Mothers of Young Children May Experience 8.3 Special Difficulties with Assurance
8.4 True Assurance Won't Lead to Spiritual Carelessness
8.5 Those Worried About the Unforgivable Sin Have not Committed It

9 False Assurance of Salvation
10 What to Do If You're Still Not Sure

Jay,

Just be careful. If these ladies, and it is hard to tell at distance, are struck with doubts - the way to "know this awesome God of Hebrews" is the way He has revealed Himself as mercy and grace and that is singularly, externally, objectively Christ Alone. For it is in this very book that it is said, "Without faith it is impossible to please God." Faith looks with abandon to Christ alone and not self. Christ is not found within or by looking at ourselves - He IS at the right hand of the Father making intercession.

I'll leave you with a great quotes:

"The preacher says: "œBelieve on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved." But how can a man possibly act on that suggestion, unless he knows what it is to believe? It was at that point that the doctrinal preaching of a former generation was far more practical than the practical preaching of the present day"¦The preachers of the present time allude to the importance of becoming a Christian, but they seldom seem to make the matter the subject of express exposition; they leave the people with a vague impression to the effect that being a Christian is a good thing, but this impression is difficult to translate into action because definite directions are absent. These preachers speak about faith, but they do not tell us what faith is"¦If the way of salvation is faith, it does seem to be highly important to tell people who want to be saved just what faith means. If a preacher cannot do that, he can hardly be a true evangelist."

-J. Gresham Machen

ldh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back