Are you fully convinced that Calvinism is biblical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iahm87

Puritan Board Freshman
Do you have any doubts about Calvinism. I've had doubts, although they're dwindling away as I read the Bible more. But I still have some questions that need to be answered. Like, how did Adam sin? If sinner's are fully responsible for their sin, but God ordained that Adam would sin, then how does God escape the accusation that He is responsible for all the evil in this world. When Calvinists use the illustration that God is in a boat and instead of everyone swimming to God, they're all swimming away from Him. If He had not predestined Adam's sin, then no one would be swimming away from Him in the first place. I think the problem is it all goes back to Adam. We could all make the argument that sinners act upon the desires of their heart, and that God does not have to make sinners more sinful than they already are, and that God is restraining the vast majority of evil in this world, but if He ordained that Adam would sin, and Adam did not have a free will, then in the final analysis it all goes back to this.

Unless I get a meaningful answer to this problem, I will still have doubts about Calvinism. But I'm not an arminian. Just a calvinist who still has doubts.

I don't have any doubts, but I do understand people who do. I had many doubts for some time. It is a process to learn all the doctrines of grace.

Sure, God could have just created Adam and Eve and ordained that they never sinned and we'd all live happily ever after in the Garden of Eden. However, I don't think we would have ever known the depth of God's love if he had not preordained the fall and his plan for redemption...:2cents:

Well I think I understand the doctrines of Grace. I just don't understand how God does not become responsible for Adam's sin, if he ordained it

Well I think I understand the doctrines of Grace. I just don't understand how God does not become responsible for Adam's sin, if he ordained it

Humir, to quote James White, "there was no cosmic gun to Adam's back". Adam was not saying, "God, I want to be good, dont make me". Adam freely chose to sin and was not forced. We dont know exactly what filled Adam's heart at that moment, but we do know that he ate and sinned.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that it was a tenet of Calvinist thought -- or at least of certain branches of Calvinistic thought -- that Adam and Eve did have free will and that it was only after the Fall that mankind was bereft of the ability to choose God with their own will alone.

Humir,

Something that will help you out immensely is a good study on Covenant Theology. That will fill in so many wholes that are lacking in getting a better grip on the 5 points. Studying the Covenant of Works will and the federal headship of Adam will help you very much. It will also reveal the wonderful completed work of Christ in the Covenant of Grace.

Well Adam was in right standing with God and had a pure heart, but God ordained that he would sin, so I don't know. What confuses me is that when Calvinist make the argument that God does not force sinners to sin, since they already have a sin nature, Arminians respond with God foreordaining Adam's sin.

I understand that God does not put a gun on Adam's head, but still, Adam would have sinned anyway by God's decree. And if God had not decreed Adam's sin, he would not have sinned (unless Adam had a free will).

This is a mystery to me. This is the reason I get defeated by Arminians when discussing Calvinism. I always win when discussing Romans 9, John 6, even the Arminian proof-texts, but not on this one. I don't fully understand this area.

But I thought that Adam did have free will! Have I just been reading the wrong Calvinists, or something? :)

Some calvinist might say that if Adam had free will, then God would not be absolutely sovereign. The sacrifice of Christ would be an afterthought of Adam's sin.

I will take that into consideration Martin. Even though I think my church is more dispensational (not sure, need to ask my Pastor)

Last edited:
Sometimes you need to just let God be God and remember Deuteronomy 29:29.

(Deu 29:29) The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

I am not sure how an arminian can discuss Adam's fall and use it against Calvinism. Adam sinned by his own self will. He had chosen the wrong tree to eat from. He didn't partake from the tree of Life. Sure God preordained it. But God didn't cause it. We all sin in our Federal head. The amazing thing is that in the Second Adam we who are called in Christ are delivered from such. Christ fully fulfilled the law of works. The Heavens are all unclean before him. Only God could completely in wisdom and knowledge fulfill the law and Covenant of Works. He alone is the source and fulfiller. And it is glorifying to Him for us to come to some knowledge of it even though we will never fully comprehend it. We are made complete in our Federal Head Christ, the second Adam.

Sometimes you need to just let God be God and remember Deuteronomy 29:29.

(Deu 29:29) The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

I am not sure how an arminian can discuss Adam's fall and use it against Calvinism. Adam sinned by his own self will. He had chosen the wrong tree to eat from. He didn't partake from the tree of Life. Sure God preordained it. But God didn't cause it. We all sin in our Federal head. The amazing thing is that in the Second Adam we who are called in Christ are delivered from such. Christ fully fulfilled the law of works. The Heavens are all unclean before him. Only God could completely in wisdom and knowledge fulfill the law and Covenant of Works. He alone is the source and fulfiller. And it is glorifying to Him for us to come to some knowledge of it even though we will never fully comprehend it. We are made complete in our Federal Head Christ, the second Adam.

Okay martin, what's the difference between God ordaining something, and God causing something.

Read this: Reformed Answers: Evil, Free-Will, Predestination

Adam did have free will, or at least a larger extent of it than fallen man does according to the tenets of orthodox Calvinism. This article also addresses whether Adam's possession of free will compromises God's sovereignty or not, which might prove helpful to you as well. I'll see if I can dig up more on this later.

Okay martin, what's the difference between God ordaining something, and God causing something.

A lot.

(Jas 1:13) Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

(Jas 1:14) But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

(Jas 1:15) Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

(Jas 1:16) Do not err, my beloved brethren.

It is bordering on blashemy.

Read this: Reformed Answers: Evil, Free-Will, Predestination

Adam did have free will, or at least a larger extent of it than fallen man does according to the tenets of orthodox Calvinism. This article also addresses whether Adam's possession of free will compromises God's sovereignty or not, which might prove helpful to you as well. I'll see if I can dig up more on this later.

Ok now it's starting to make sense. Just a little bit:book2:

God will be glorified. He shows forth his goodness and holiness. His ways are perfect.

His By Grace--"John Gill: A Body of Doctrinal & Practical Divinity"-Doctrinal Book 3, Chapter 8

John Gill
A Body of Doctrinal & Practical Divinity

2. Secondly, How creatures, so wise and knowing, so holy, just, and good; made after the image and likeness of God, came to sin as they did, deserves an enquiry: To what could their sin and fall be owing? Not unto God; he is not the author of sin, nor tempts unto it; nor is he tempted by it: nor to Satan, only as an instrument, enticing and deceiving; but to themselves, to their own will, it was their own act and deed.

2a. First, Not to God; he forbad it; was displeased with it; and resented it to the highest degree. Those who are differently minded from us, represent our sentiments about Adam's sin, as chargeable with making God the author of sin; which we abhor and detest. Let us therefore a little consider what concern God had in this affair; by which it will appear that the charge is false and groundless. And,

2a1. What he did not do.

2a1a. He did not restrain the serpent from tempting; nor withhold man from sinning. He could have kept the serpent out of the garden, and laid his commands on Satan, not to tempt our first parents; and he could have hindered the temptation from having any influence upon them; but this he did not: nor did he withhold Adam from sinning, which he could have done; as well as he withheld Abimelech from sinning against him, as he told him he had; and Laban and Esau from hurting Jacob; and Balsam from cursing the people of Israel; he could have done the one as well as the other; but he did not; nor was he obliged to it. And on the other hand, he did not force nor impel either Satan to tempt, or man to sin; they both acted their part freely, without any force or compulsion. Satan, full of spite and malice, and moved with envy at the happiness of man, most freely and voluntarily entered into a scheme to destroy him, and with all his heart pursued it, and carried it into execution; and our first parents, with the full consent of their wills, and without any force upon them, took and eat the forbidden fruit; none of Adam's sons and daughters ever eat a heartier meal, and with more good will, or with greater gust, than our first parents eat the forbidden fruit; stolen waters are sweet, and bread eaten in secret pleasant.

2a1b. God did not withdraw any favour from man he had bestowed upon him, nor any power and strength to stand which he had given him; for when God does anything of this kind, it is by way of punishment for a preceding sin or sins; but no such punishment could be inflicted on Adam, because as yet he had not sinned; but God left him in the full possession of all the powers and abilities he had conferred upon him; so that he could have stood if he would; he did not indeed grant him new favours, nor give him additional power and strength, which he was not obliged unto; he gave him enough, had he made right use of it, to have continued in his integrity; and to have resisted every temptation. Now these negative acts of God could never make him chargeable with being the author of Adam's sin and fall.

2a2. There are other things which God did do, or acts which are ascribed unto him, relative to this affair.

2a2a. He foreknew the sin and fall of Adam; as he foreknows all things that come to pass in this world, which none will deny that own the omniscience and prescience of God; and if God foreknew the most trivial and contingent events that befall any of his creatures; then surely such an event as the fall of Adam, so important in its consequences, could never escape his foreknowledge; now God's foreknowledge of things future flows from the determinations of his will; he foreknows that things will be, because he has determined they shall be. Wherefore,

2a2b. God predetermined the fall of Adam; this fell under his decree, as all things do that come to pass in the world; there is nothing comes to pass without his determining will, "Who is he that saith, and it cometh to pass, when the Lord commandeth it not?" #La 3:37 nothing is done, or can be done, God not willing it should be done: that the fall of Adam was by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God is certain; because the sufferings and death of Christ, by which is the redemption of men from that sin, and all others, were ordained before the foundation of the world; and which must have been precarious and uncertain, if Adam's fall was not by a like decree, #Ac 2:23 4:28 1Pe 1:20 but then neither the foreknowledge of God, nor any decree of God, laid Adam under a necessity of sinning; it is true, there arises from hence a necessity of immutability, that is, that the things God has decreed should unchangeably come to pass, but not a necessity of co-action or force; as Judas and the Jews sinned freely, the one in betraying, the other in putting Christ to death; so Adam sinned freely, without force or compulsion, notwithstanding any decree of God concerning him; so that these do not make God at all chargeable with being the author of his sin; he and he alone was the author of it.

2a2c. God permitted or suffered Adam to sin and fall, which permission was not a bare permission or sufferance. God was not an idle spectator of this affair. The permission was voluntary, wise, holy, powerful, and efficacious, according to the unchangeable counsel of his will. He willed, and he did not will the sin of Adam, in different respects. He did not will it as an evil, but as what he would overrule for good, a great good. He willed it not as sin, but as a means of glorifying his grace and mercy, justice and holiness.

If sinner's are fully responsible for their sin, but God ordained that Adam would sin, then how does God escape the accusation that He is responsible for all the evil in this world.

Even though God ordained that Adam would sin, Adam is responsible for his sin because he acted according to his desires and his desires were not generated in an inappropriate way.

Swimming or Dead?

When Calvinists use the illustration that God is in a boat and instead of everyone swimming to God, they're all swimming away from Him.

Most Calvinists say we're dead at the bottom of the lake, not swimming away. "And you were dead in your ..."

When Calvinists use the illustration that God is in a boat and instead of everyone swimming to God, they're all swimming away from Him.

Most Calvinists say we're dead at the bottom of the lake, not swimming away. "And you were dead in your ..."

I have never heard a Calvinistic person speak like this Humir. The scriptures say we are already dead. Thus, according to the illustration we would already be drowned. We need to be made alive again. Thus the wording, "You must be born again." We need to be regenerate or made alive again. We are born dead in sins and trespasses as it is recorded in Ephesians.

(Eph 2:1) And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

(Eph 2:2) Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

(Eph 2:3) Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

(Eph 2:4) But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

(Eph 2:5) Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Humir,

You might find it helpful to speak with Paul Viggiano, a minister in Torrence who pastors Branch of Hope OPC. He used to be a Foursquare minister, and the church used to be a Foursquare church. I am sure that he would love to help you out with any questions, and I think you will find him a great brother to get to know, as well.

Do you have any doubts about Calvinism. I've had doubts, although they're dwindling away as I read the Bible more. But I still have some questions that need to be answered. Like, how did Adam sin? If sinner's are fully responsible for their sin, but God ordained that Adam would sin, then how does God escape the accusation that He is responsible for all the evil in this world. When Calvinists use the illustration that God is in a boat and instead of everyone swimming to God, they're all swimming away from Him. If He had not predestined Adam's sin, then no one would be swimming away from Him in the first place. I think the problem is it all goes back to Adam. We could all make the argument that sinners act upon the desires of their heart, and that God does not have to make sinners more sinful than they already are, and that God is restraining the vast majority of evil in this world, but if He ordained that Adam would sin, and Adam did not have a free will, then in the final analysis it all goes back to this.

Unless I get a meaningful answer to this problem, I will still have doubts about Calvinism. But I'm not an arminian. Just a calvinist who still has doubts.

It is probably natural to have doubts about the deep things of God. Even as children of God, our minds are partially darkened, in that we must be continually enlightened and "renewed" in our minds (Romans 12:2). All our previous notions were man-centered; thus we have to learn to understand the glory of God's absolute sovereignty. I'm sure you know this; I just hope to encourage you to press on in this truth!

In God's ordination of Adam's sin, He purposed to allow Adam to choose sin. In this we see the freedom of Adam. And not that Adam could ultimately reject the Decree of God; but that in His decree, God chose to let Adam fall, rather than prevent him. God did not have to coerce Adam in any way; He simply had to give Adam over to what Adam wanted.

This truth is weighty. Why would God create Adam in the first place then? This also is the tough part to chew. We know God purposed to magnify His attributes. He allows the children of satan to engulf themselves in the sin they so love, and to hate Him in the very core of their soul forever. They are wicked and brute beasts. They do not deserve mercy. Their vileness is covered now, often times with a very beautiful fascade; but in the day of wrath we will see them as they are, and we will rejoice in the justice of the Holy One. God has done this to magnify His anger, power, justice, and wrath (Romans 9:22).

We were of the same company; wild animals, lacking any affection for the Glorious Lord of Heaven. But God chose to rescue us from our vomit. He purposed to pluck us out of the grip of hell, and to join us forever to His Son! We are made like Him, and granted to see the beauty and glory of ALL His attributes. The wicked will never know the sweetness of God's grace as we will. God has chosen to save us, in order to magnify His mercy and love (Romans 9:23)!

At the end of the day, I admittedly still wrestle through these things. Sometimes my heart rises up in arrogance, and I can only but recognize my need for final redemption. I hate my unwillingness to bless God for all His ways, all the time. But one day I will. I long for that day. Until then, and during those times of difficulty, I humble myself in prayer, and I fix my gaze upon those beautiful Gospel-realities I've experienced! God is great.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will study this topic more.

If you could recommend me a book that deals specifically with this issue and talks about it in-depth, I would appreaciate it.

Last edited:
what's the difference between God ordaining something, and God causing something.

God is the first cause of all things, and has ordained all things will work together for good, according to His primary will, even by His granting a secondary causal agency unto man, created in His image.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will study this topic more.

If you could recommend me a book that deals specifically with this issue and talks about it in-depth, I would appreaciate it.

R.C. Sproul's Chosen by God is a classic of Calvinist apologetics and has a very clear section explaining the classic compatibilist position and how free will (properly defined) is compatible with divine decree.

Here is how the confession of faith describes it:
Chapter 6: Of the Fall of Man, Of Sin, And of the Punishment Thereof
1._____ Although God created man upright and perfect, and gave him a righteous law, which had been unto life had he kept it, and threatened death upon the breach thereof, yet he did not long abide in this honour; Satan using the subtlety of the serpent to subdue Eve, then by her seducing Adam, who, without any compulsion, did willfully transgress the law of their creation, and the command given unto them, in eating the forbidden fruit, which God was pleased, according to his wise and holy counsel to permit, having purposed to order it to his own glory.
( Genesis 2:16, 17; Genesis 3:12,13; 2 Corinthians 11:3 )
2._____ Our first parents, by this sin, fell from their original righteousness and communion with God, and we in them whereby death came upon all: all becoming dead in sin, and wholly defiled in all the faculties and parts of soul and body.
( Romans 3:23; Romans 5:12, etc; Titus 1:15; Genesis 6:5; Jeremiah 17:9; Romans 3:10-19 )

3._____ They being the root, and by God's appointment, standing in the room and stead of all mankind, the guilt of the sin was imputed, and corrupted nature conveyed, to all their posterity descending from them by ordinary generation, being now conceived in sin, and by nature children of wrath, the servants of sin, the subjects of death, and all other miseries, spiritual, temporal, and eternal, unless the Lord Jesus set them free.
( Romans 5:12-19; 1 Corinthians 15:21, 22, 45, 49; Psalms 51:5; Job 14:4; Ephesians 2:3; Romans 6:20 Romans 5:12; Hebrews 2:14, 15; 1 Thessalonians 1:10 )

4._____ From this original corruption, whereby we are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good, and wholly inclined to all evil, do proceed all actual transgressions.
( Romans 8:7; Colossians 1:21; James 1:14, 15; Matthew 15:19 )

5._____ The corruption of nature, during this life, doth remain in those that are regenerated; and although it be through Christ pardoned and mortified, yet both itself, and the first motions thereof, are truly and properly sin.
( Romans 7:18,23; Ecclesiastes 7:20; 1 John 1:8; Romans 7:23-25; Galatians 5:17 )

This is the faith we confess and believe:
Chapter 3: Of God's Decree
1._____ God hath decreed in himself, from all eternity, by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will, freely and unchangeably, all things, whatsoever comes to pass; yet so as thereby is God neither the author of sin nor hath fellowship with any therein; nor is violence offered to the will of the creature, nor yet is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established; in which appears his wisdom in disposing all things, and power and faithfulness in accomplishing his decree.
( Isaiah 46:10; Ephesians 1:11; Hebrews 6:17; Romans 9:15, 18; James 1:13; 1 John 1:5; Acts 4:27, 28; John 19:11; Numbers 23:19; Ephesians 1:3-5 )
2._____ Although God knoweth whatsoever may or can come to pass, upon all supposed conditions, yet hath he not decreed anything, because he foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass upon such conditions.
( Acts 15:18; Romans 9:11, 13, 16, 18 )

3._____ By the decree of God, for the manifestation of his glory, some men and angels are predestinated, or foreordained to eternal life through Jesus Christ, to the praise of his glorious grace; others being left to act in their sin to their just condemnation, to the praise of his glorious justice.
( 1 Timothy 5:21; Matthew 25:34; Ephesians 1:5, 6; Romans 9:22, 23; Jude 4 )

4.______These angels and men thus predestinated and foreordained, are particularly and unchangeably designed, and their number so certain and definite, that it cannot be either increased or diminished.
( 2 Timothy 2:19; John 13:18 )

5._____ Those of mankind that are predestinated to life, God, before the foundation of the world was laid, according to his eternal and immutable purpose, and the secret counsel and good pleasure of his will, hath chosen in Christ unto everlasting glory, out of his mere free grace and love, without any other thing in the creature as a condition or cause moving him thereunto.
( Ephesians 1:4, 9, 11; Romans 8:30; 2 Timothy 1:9; 1 Thessalonians 5:9; Romans 9:13, 16; Ephesians 2:5, 12 )

6._____ As God hath appointed the elect unto glory, so he hath, by the eternal and most free purpose of his will, foreordained all the means thereunto; wherefore they who are elected, being fallen in Adam, are redeemed by Christ, are effectually called unto faith in Christ, by his Spirit working in due season, are justified, adopted, sanctified, and kept by his power through faith unto salvation; neither are any other redeemed by Christ, or effectually called, justified, adopted, sanctified, and saved, but the elect only.
( 1 Peter 1:2; 2 Thessalonians 2:13; 1 Thessalonians 5:9, 10; Romans 8:30; 2 Thessalonians 2:13; 1 Peter 1:5; John 10:26; John 17:9; John 6:64 )

7._____ The doctrine of the high mystery of predestination is to be handled with special prudence and care, that men attending the will of God revealed in his Word, and yielding obedience thereunto, may, from the certainty of their effectual vocation, be assured of their eternal election; so shall this doctrine afford matter of praise, reverence, and admiration of God, and of humility, diligence, and abundant consolation to all that sincerely obey the gospel.
( 1 Thessalonians 1:4, 5; 2 Peter 1:10; Ephesians 1:6; Romans 11:33; Romans 11:5, 6, 20; Luke 10:20 )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that the question itself is from an inherent lack of understanding of creature/creator relationship. Does a clay pigeon say to the manufacturer "Why did you make me just to have me shot to pieces?"

We are the equivalent of clay. That God chose to give to Christ a redeemed people, and so the fall was needful for that to occur, means only that we had to be made so that we would fall. The intent of God was good, right and pure. He ordained that we would freely choose to sin against him. He also ordained, by the council of his immutable will, that some would be redeemed, to the praise of his glorious grace, while other he ordained they would be passed by, to the praise of his glorious justice.

But we are clay. That a potter chooses some clay to make a toilet, and other clay to make a work of art is up to the potter. The clay is of no consequence, unless the potter makes it of consequence.

I can't, no one can, fully understand God. But He has kindly told us He is Good and all that He does is Good. He knows the end from the beginning. We have Christ as our Savior who has forgiven out sins, past and future. Thank God for the Gospel and that is what some call Calvinism. (Shorthand for what is taught about salvation in the Bible.) His ways are higher then ours and we will NEVER be able to grasp them, so thank Him for what He has reveled to you so far.

Christ fully fulfilled the requirements of the law (inwardly and outwardly) on our behalf. He then took the punishmet for our failure to do such. That is more than a marvelous thing. For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

2Co 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
2Co 5:11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.
2Co 5:12 For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory in appearance, and not in heart.
2Co 5:13 For whether we be beside ourselves, it is to God: or whether we be sober, it is for your cause.
2Co 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
2Co 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
2Co 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
2Co 5:18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
2Co 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
2Co 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Westminster Confession of Faith
(emphasis added)

Chapter III
Of God's Eternal Decree

I. God from all eternity, did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass;[1] yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin,[2] nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established.[3]

II. Although God knows whatsoever may or can come to pass upon all supposed conditions;[4] yet has He not decreed anything because He foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass upon such conditions.[5]

III. By the decree of God, for the manifestation of His glory, some men and angels[6] are predestinated unto everlasting life; and others foreordained to everlasting death.[7]

IV. These angels and men, thus predestinated, and foreordained, are particularly and unchangeably designed, and their number so certain and definite, that it cannot be either increased or diminished.[8]

V. Those of mankind that are predestinated unto life, God, before the foundation of the world was laid, according to His eternal and immutable purpose, and the secret counsel and good pleasure of His will, has chosen, in Christ, unto everlasting glory,[9] out of His mere free grace and love, without any foresight of faith, or good works, or perseverance in either of them, or any other thing in the creature, as conditions, or causes moving Him thereunto;[10] and all to the praise of His glorious grace.[11]

VI. As God has appointed the elect unto glory, so has He, by the eternal and most free purpose of His will, foreordained all the means thereunto.[12] Wherefore, they who are elected, being fallen in Adam, are redeemed by Christ,[13] are effectually called unto faith in Christ by His Spirit working in due season, are justified, adopted, sanctified,[14] and kept by His power, through faith, unto salvation.[15] Neither are any other redeemed by Christ, effectually called, justified, adopted, sanctified, and saved, but the elect only.[16]

VII. The rest of mankind God was pleased, according to the unsearchable counsel of His own will, whereby He extends or withholds mercy, as He pleases, for the glory of His sovereign power over His creatures, to pass by; and to ordain them to dishonor and wrath for their sin, to the praise of His glorious justice.[17]

VIII. The doctrine of this high mystery of predestination is to be handled with special prudence and care,[18] that men, attending the will of God revealed in His Word, and yielding obedience thereunto, may, from the certainty of their effectual vocation, be assured of their eternal election.[19] So shall this doctrine afford matter of praise, reverence, and admiration of God;[20] and of humility, diligence, and abundant consolation to all that sincerely obey the Gospel.[21]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back