Are you doing what you Want and Desire in your vocation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Curious -

How many of you are doing exactly what you know you were meant to do and desire to do in your vocations?

Yes - you are doing it.
No - you are not doing it. (You think you were meant for something else.)

Is this a trick question of sorts?

I guess for me (I didn't vote, btw) . . .

No - my primary job right now is literally insane and definately not what I want to do with the rest of my life, nor is it what I am going to school for.

Maybe - I'm not exactly sure what my main vocational calling in life is going to be. I might end up being a nurse for the rest of my life - in which case, I might be able to answer "yes" to this question, since I'm in nursing school.

Yes - I believe (well, am trying to believe!) that my job right now is where God wants me for right now. If I didn't I probably would have quit. I also believe that nursing school is where God wants me right now, and I can see how God has done some pretty cool stuff in bringing me here - despite the fact that the reason I didn't go into math or engineering has more to do with the brokenness that sin brings (long story) than a sense of calling to be a nurse.

Maybe we could rephrase the question...

How about this?

"Are you doing what you Want and Desire in your unemployment?"

:candle:

I am now, but I wasn't for a long time. It was still God's ordination, naturally.

I voted yes. I'm doing what I enjoy doing and I believe the job I have was a wonderful answer to prayer, so I'm doing what I was meant to do. I concur with what Adam said - praise God.

Originally posted by C. Matthew McMahon
Curious -

How many of you are doing exactly what you know you were meant to do and desire to do in your vocations?

Yes - you are doing it.
Everytime I think I'm not then I end up sticking around it. Let's just say that I'm in the vocation I am meant to be in for at least 4 more years.

I really enjoy the intellectual stimulation of what I do but I'm worry of the tempo and deployments (I have to leave my family for a couple of weeks soon). I'm looking forward to being a civilian when ever world crisis doesn't have me wondering if I'm going to be shipping out soon.

I'm actually seriously considering Seminary after retirement but the idea is terrifying in many ways.

Originally posted by joshua
I am definitely NOT. I'm doing what I have to do to pay bills and take care of my daughter. :(

Whatever my God ordains is right.

A big fat DITTO josh, except mine is to take care of my son!

Curious -

Yes - you are doing it.

I desire to serve God and I am where i'm at by his will. I happen to be trying to figure out what it is I should do in my vocation.

I have an excellent job as far as the type of work and money goes.
I desire to move my family to Charlotte to be with my like minded Brother and his family. The downfall to that is the huge payscale diference and the type of work would be worse. Its really hard for me to make a decision. :banghead:

My vote is NO.

Curious -

Yes - you are doing it.
Are you?

Originally posted by LAYMAN JOE
Curious -

Yes - you are doing it.

I desire to serve God and I am where i'm at by his will. I happen to be trying to figure out what it is I should do in my vocation.

I desire to move my family to Charlotte to be with my like minded Brother and his family. The downfall to that is the huge payscale diference and the type of work would be worse. Its really hard for me to make a decision. :banghead:

My vote is NO.

Is there any way you can find the type of work in the Charlotte area that you're currently doing? The cost of living is lower here, too. Real estate is still affordable for many but this is not likely to last long. :2cents:

My job aligns with God's moral and secret will (if that is the question). ;)

Seriously, isn't a person's line of work adiaphora (as long as it doesn't violate God's revealed law)? Or am I misunderstanding the question?

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
My job aligns with God's moral and secret will (if that is the question). ;)

Seriously, isn't a person's line of work adiaphora (as long as it doesn't violate God's revealed law)? Or am I misunderstanding the question?

Yeah, that's what i first thought when i read the question too...

Originally posted by jaybird0827
Originally posted by LAYMAN JOE
Curious -

Yes - you are doing it.

I desire to move my family to Charlotte to be with my like minded Brother and his family. The downfall to that is the huge pay scale difference and the type of work would be worse. Its really hard for me to make a decision. :banghead:

My vote is NO.

Is there any way you can find the type of work in the Charlotte area that you're currently doing? The cost of living is lower here, too. Real estate is still affordable for many but this is not likely to last long. :2cents:

I do a very unique type of electrical work. It is the maintenance, testing, and installation of high voltage electrical systems. Mainly the testing. There are some 50 certified companies in the country. I have talked with the owner of the only company in Charlotte and he informed me that his senior man makes $22 per hour. My company pays $33 per hour with an additional $8 per hour in benefits. Full health, pension, annuities, company truck, paid vacation, holidays, the whole shabang.

I have also found that the true cost of living down there is practically the same with the only exception of home costs.
I compared my taxes with my brothers and they are very close.

The Testing industry is by far the best work an Electrician can do in the field. I would quickly throw it away if I could get a job that paid my necessary bills. Keep in mind I have 4 kids, I'm 28, and I don't believe in any form of family planning. I need a sufficiently sized house for my growing family

I have been working in my field of expertise since graduating college in 2000. However, I am not sure if this is exactly what I am meant to do and desire to do as a life long vocation. My trade is not my hobby and I would rather be dedicated elsewhere, so probably the answer is no. Although I certainly am good at what I do and am not dissatisfied with my vocation. Or in other words, I do not despise getting out of bed every morning.

Hmmm......:detective:

(although I take comfort knowing that providentially I am exactly where I am meant to be)

I honestly have enjoyed most of my jobs. I don't know if it is because I have worked with good people, or that God has given me contentment where I'm at. I've run the full spectrum from fast food to nuclear electrician to night stocker to ER nurse, and now training in seminary. I do love my job as an ER nurse, especially when you work with a good crew. But seminary has broadened my horizons to so many other opportunities. So my struggle is figuring out what God has gifted me for. I could be content with being an RN in the ER for the rest of my career. But ministry and teaching are very appealing and enjoyable too. Hopefully as I finish seminary that will be clarified for me. I'd appreciate prayers about that.

Love my job! Is it what I am called to? I hope so. How could you know for sure?

[Edited on 8-8-2006 by Scott Bushey]

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Originally posted by Scott Bushey
What do you do again? Full-time Puritanboard administrator?;)

Nah, he's a full time cigar tester... :lol:

But seriously, Matt used the expression 'your vocation'. I would on reflection say that I have a full time job - but that is NOT my vocation. If I was full time in christian service I could say that it was my job AND my vocation - but helping insurance brokers 35 hours a week taking 120 calls a day... no, that's not my vocation, it just pays the bills.

So I still answer 'no' because at the moment I am a bit of a church nomad even though I have had recent opportunities to preach and THAT is what I call a vocation!

JH

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Originally posted by Scott Bushey
What do you do again? Full-time Puritanboard administrator?;)

I am a nurse Case Manager for Tenet Healthcare Corporation.

I voted "No". I believe I'm doing what God wants me to for now. I do not believe this is His long term plan...as I have grown to dislike what's involved at work. I have learned a lot, but I think I have hit a plateau. If I want to go higher, I'll make a bit more, but it will take at least 6 years...I am working between 50 and 60 hours a week and it is very trying when there isn't a pay off. Oh yeah, and after 6 more years or so, I'd be making what most professionals make after about 3 years after college...I've been here 2 years already.

I am acquiring a lot of great skills and will look better on a resume...I am hoping God provides me with a better job soon. I can make my bills on time and have some extra change to do very little things with my wife. At this point, I've scoured the market, I'm probably going to have to transfer back to my hometown and find a job there (bigger market, more people I know there).

After many years and several jobs (a couple in the same occupation) I am doing what I desire and what I believe I am called to do.

Now back to working on a sermon... :sing:

[Edited on 8/13/2006 by fredtgreco]

I voted no. After 53 years I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

But God graciously provides for all my needs.

NO!

Im a head cashier at home depot-If I really wanted to I could move up to DH and probably be a ASM in a year or two. It's not worth it. I dont know exactly what Im called to per se- Though I do say I have a strong desire to work within animal care as an animal control officer. I dont regard human life less than animals I get called that alot.

But I have a strong desire to serve the Lord as a Christian serving animals. Why? Because I believe as Christians it's out duty to take care of the wildlife that he so graciously has given us. In america I dont see Christians showing any care towards that end of things.

Hopefully after I get my certificate done in Veterinary Assistant and volunteer work done I can apply and become a Animal Control Officer and have a rewarding Job preserving animal life, and setting forth a Goldy example in beleif and practice in a field that is dominated by humanistic,atheistic, and evolutionary anti-christian beliefs.

In Christ,
Blade

Accidentally voted yes :um: I'm working at Denny's right now but am a music major. That's my gift that God has blessed me with, so I will use it for his glory. I don't know where He wants to take me with that, though. I have my ideas, but we'll see ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back