Are there any other forums similar to the Puritanboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

Does there exist any online forums that are similar to the Puritanboard, or is this place a unique forum?

Thanks.

I do not know of another long format discussion forum with the confessional commitments and moderating standards that the PB has. There are some Facebook groups that attempt to moderate along the same lines, but Facebook and those kind of platforms are really not suited to coherent discussion or easy storage, cataloging and access to those discussions. PB can function as an archive in a way Facebook groups etc. cannot.

If you want to comment about other boards, please remember this PB rule:

"The Puritan Board strictly prohibits the practice of "board wars" and references to specific forums or blogs to post disparaging comments regarding the site or responding to disparaging comments about this site."

There are a number of Christian discussion forums. Of course, the membership requirements and moderation standards will vary widely from one to another. Naturally, the more widely the door is thrown open, the more time gets spent debating basic points.

Last edited:
Does there exist any online forums that are similar to the Puritanboard, or is this place a unique forum?

Thanks.
There are many on the internet, and one of the larger ones has been set up for primarily Baptists, but others can participate on it under the other denominations section.

A lot of discussion is happening in Facebook groups. The biggest advantage I've found is that they allow more specific topics to exist in their own forum, so it can be good to find more specific topics of discussion than happens on a general Christian or on a confessional Reformed board. That said, they also tend to be less well moderated and less suited to long form discussion.

There are some groups which try to overcome this. One recent endeavor is "Ask Reformed Officers" which limits membership to those who are members of a Reformed churches and limits answering of questions/moderatership to officers who hold to the original Westminster Standards.

As a BR (broadly reformed, or barely reformed depending on your perspective) baptist on here, I have to say the Puritanboard is the best forum I have found for thoughtful and studious replies.

While the views of some of the TRs on here are overly narrow and annoying at times, one can be sure not to encounter the various silly notions at large in the church today. In other forums they will argue for hours about the mere existence of God or Calvinism vs Arminianism or even Sola Scripture. I don't have time for all that....this forum assumes a fairly uniform set of doctrines and this allows us not to waste precious time going over the foundational truths again and again or fighting over doctrines which should be commonly held by all.

So, way to go PB! I am a fan.

Thank you everyone for the replies thus far; I think I will look into some of the suggestions.

As a BR (broadly reformed, or barely reformed depending on your perspective) baptist on here, I have to say the Puritanboard is the best forum I have found for thoughtful and studious replies.

While the views of some of the TRs on here are overly narrow and annoying at times, one can be sure not to encounter the various silly notions at large in the church today. In other forums they will argue for hours about the mere existence of God or Calvinism vs Arminianism or even Sola Scripture. I don't have time for all that....this forum assumes a fairly uniform set of doctrines and this allows us not to waste precious time going over the foundational truths again and again or fighting over doctrines which should be commonly held by all.

So, way to go PB! I am a fan.
The other Board that I am posting on is quite a bit like the one that you mentioned here, as we spend a lot of time discussing whether we have a real free will or not as regards to salvation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back