April 17, 1521

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen brother....
I am fascinated with the entire Protestant Reformation and studied it in-depth…after leaving the Roman catholic church myself….Kind of like Luther and more like Calvin in my thought now about Catholicism. I do renounce openly the papacy and the pope and any teaching which runs contrary to and above scripture. I am now in total agreement as a Protestant in sola scptura and the other four solas of the reformation….as well as the Protestant doctrine of Justification…The diet of worms was about 20 months after the excommunication of Luther…It was “Exsurge Domine” which means in English “arise Lord” The term refers to the papal bull written by Pope Leo X on June 15, 1520. The bull was intended Martin Luther and his rebellion to a halt by the threat of excommunication from the Church. In it, the demand was made that Luther retract 41 errors within 60 days. From the first paragraph, “Arise, O Lord, and judge your own cause. Remember your reproaches to those who are filled with foolishness all through the day. . . . The wild boar [Luther] from the forest seeks to destroy it and every wild beast feeds upon it.” On December 10, 1520 Martin Luther burned the bull in front of his students at Wittenberg. It is reported that he uttered these words at the burning, “Because you have confounded the truth [or, the saints] of God, today the Lord confounds you. Into the fire with you!” Some would suggest that this is the formal day on which the Great Reformation began. On January 3, 1521, Leo excommunicated Luther issuing another bull “Decet Romanum Pontificem.”

The diet of worms concluded with The Edict of Worms which declared Luther to be an obstinate heretic and banned the reading or possession of his writings.

It was the culmination of an ongoing struggle between Martin Luther and the Catholic Church over reform, especially in practice of donations for indulgences. However, there were other deeper issues that revolved around both theological concerns:
On a theological level, Luther had challenged the absolute authority of the Pope over the Church by maintaining that the doctrine of indulgences, as authorized and taught by the Pope, was wrong.
Luther maintained that salvation was by faith alone "sola fide" without reference to good works, alms, penance, or the Church's sacraments.
He had also challenged the authority of the Church by maintaining that all doctrines and dogmata of the Church not found in Scripture should be discarded "sola scriptura"

I say Amen to all that Luther said and Amen to "sola scriptura"...it frees us from the bondage of popery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back