Any Thoughts On New Books Just Purchased from a local bookstore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moral necessity

Puritan Board Junior
A Discourse Concerning Love - Nathaniel Vincent (1644-1697)
The Future of Justification - John Piper
What Saint Paul Really Said - N.T. Wright
Putting Amazing Back Into Grace - Michael Horton
Five Points of Calvinism - David Steele, etc...
Justification by Faith Alone - Jonathan Edwards
Jonathan Edwards on Heaven and Hell - John Gerstner

I bought the N.T. Wright with the knowledge that he seems to be off the mark with regard to orthodoxy on this issue. Yet, it is a good reference for reply to others. Has anyone read any of these books? Your thoughts regarding such would be appreciated regarding them.

Blessings!

Last edited:
Read both "Putting Amazing Back into Grace" and "Five Points of Calvinism". Both seemed to me to be solid summations of Calvinistic and Reformed doctrine.

I've read "Five Points". The best part is when the authors go through the scripture in which the five points of Calvinism have been concluded. There's also a good annotated list of recommended reading in the back.

The Wright book is okay. Paul: A Fresh Perspective is a better read. And don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Problems wtih justification, yes, but there is much to be gleaned from it.

I bought the N.T. Wright with the knowledge that he seems to be off the mark with regard to orthodoxy on this issue. Yet, it is a good reference for reply to others. Has anyone read any of these books? Your thoughts regarding such would be appreciated regarding them.

Blessings!

The only one of these books I have not read is Justification by Faith Alone -- Jonathan Edwards, though I may have read it (years ago) if it's in the two volume set of his works.

I did not care for the N.T.Wright book. I understand not "throwing the baby out with the bath water" or as I prefer to say, "take the meat...leave the bones." But this book had too many bones for my tastes.:2cents:

I enjoyed both the Wright book and the little work by Edwards on justification. At the same time, both works are rather controversial. I don't think there was any difficulty in seeing some rather absurd leaps in Wright's views, but it was harder for me to see why problems have been suggested with regard to Edwards' work. It's been a while since I read it, but he does take issue with the Confession at one point.

Blessings!

Vincent, Steele, Edwards :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back