A gal walks into a bookstore...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary

Puritan Board Freshman
This is a true story. I went to 3 (yes, 3) Christian bookstores last week, looking for a copy of the Westminster Catechism (or, hopefully "The Complete Idiot's Guide to...";) since I have a tendency to feel a leeetle out of my league when we get deep into the doctrine...)

However, not 1 "Christian" bookstore had a copy. I was flabbergasted. They don't have any true doctrinal books at all, or hardly any. One of the 3 had a book on Systematic Theology, but I didn't reconize the author's name, and one of the "oh what a great book" quotes on the back was from somebody that I considered theologically unsound...I wish I could remember who. I actually asked the guy at the one store WHY there were no such books at his store. He said that basically: a. the store had to be ecumenical, and the Lutherans have their own store, and the Baptists have their own store, etc. (By which I presume he means e-store, since the only denominational Christian bookstores that I have found in my area are Catholic.) and b. there really wasn't much demand for the more doctrinal stuff.

I browsed each bookstore. They each had entire sections of nothing but "Christian" fiction (and I don't mean Pilgrim's Progress) and lots of books by Joyce Meyer. I saw books with titles like "If men are like buses, why can't I catch one?" (And no, I am NOT making that up! ):mad:

I realize that this has basically become a rant, but I do have an actual question. Well, 2. First the not-so-nice one: what in the world happened to Christian bookstores? One of the 3 I was in is a chain that has been in the metro area for years, and I don't remember it always being this bad. Is everyone just going for the cotton candy - fluffy, sweet and melts in your mouth? Or as the little old lady in the Wendy's commercials used to say, "Where's the beef?"

Now for the actual question - although I am sure I could order the WCF from amazon.com (since you can order anything there, it seems) is there a Christian e-store that would have wheat and not just chaff?

OK, I feel better now. It's just that when something like this happens, I look around. If no one else seems to be upset, I begin to wonder if it's just me...

BUT I'M PRETTY SURE THE EMPORER IS...ahem.

Mary
:yes:

Great Commission Publications puts out some great stuff - you can check em out at www.gcp.org. It a ministry of both the PCA's and OPC's Christian Education folks.

I feel your pain as far as the bookstores go. I remember when I was trying to get a set of Calvin's Institutes back home at one of those stores. I asked the clerk if he had the Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin. After asking "Who?" once more he checked the computer - but all he could find was a similar title by someone named Jean Calvin. :D

True story - I went into Barnes & Noble looking for a book of Jonathan Edwards' sermons. When I couldn't find anything, I asked at the counter. I was told his works were in the "New Age" section. I think my jaw hit the ground. I just stood there, unable to speak. The guy (very kindly) offered to show me where the New Age section was. I found my voice and said, "You put Jonathan Edwards in the New Age section?! The man who wrote 'Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God'?!?!"

Turns out that there is another Jonathan Edwards (who writes New Age stuff) and furthermore, the guy had never even heard of "my" Jonathan Edwards.

No joke.
:flaming:

[b:bffe281d01]Mary wrote:[/b:bffe281d01]
...there really wasn't much demand for the more doctrinal stuff

I think that hits the nail. Its the rule of supply and demand. No demand, no supply.

I'd bet that if those interested in reformed theology books would bring their friends down to the local bookstore and started ordering them more (and forcing the owner to do a special orders) that eventually the owner would save himself (or herself) the trouble and start stocking the shelves. We can't fault the bookstore owner too much if people just aren't requesting those kinds of books.

[b:bffe281d01]Mary wrote:[/b:bffe281d01]
I saw books with titles like "If men are like buses, why can't I catch one?" (And no, I am NOT making that up! ):mad:

Not you, but I wonder how many ladies feel the same way as you do...then, when nobody's looking, open the book and start reading it.:lol:

My favorite bookstore locally is CBD, which isn't too far (an hour or so) from where I live. Haven't been there for many years, but I went there once when they had one of their sales and was amazed at their selection of good books. If I ever have some extra money, I'd like to go back there and browse and buy to my heart's content.

Bob

[Edited on 3-18-2004 by blhowes]

Trinity Book Service as mentioned above is the best - good prices, and they screen EVERY book before they sell it.

Also another EXCELLENT resource is Cumberland Valley Bible and Book Service
www.cvbbs.com

Mary,

I take care of book sales at our Church and you are right about the Christian Bookstores. I never go there. If you find anything Reformed its usually in the back and there are only a few copies and its an old copy of something RC Sproul wrote.

I always shop the internet for reformed books. I start with Christianbook.com, then cvbbs.com (Cumberland Valley Bible Book Service), then Alldirect.com. Christianbook.com usually has the best selection and give a synopsis of the book, but they have the highest price. Then I go to cvbbs, they are cheaper, then I go to Alldirect.com because they are the cheapest. I never use Amazon, they are way too expensive. The other sites that will be recommended are also good, but because I buy so many books, I look for the best price.

The problem I have with ordering a book (either online or from the bookstore) is that I need to be able to browse through it and make sure it's not over my head. Can anyone recommend a good introduction to Westminster (or perhaps a book which explains where the WCF differs from other Confessions of Faith)? I know enough to know that if you don't know what you believe, you will buy anything (and my recent foray into "Christian" bookstores seems to bear this out).

I'll have to check out some of the websites recommended...

Mere Housewife: You can't be making up something as ridiculous as a Bible in a can? You must have really seen that somewhere. How appalling...

Here's the thing about "Men Are Like Buses" - it's insulting and demeaning to God, to men, to women, to the concept of marriage. And on a more personal level, that makes it seem as if there must be something wrong with me, since I haven't "caught one." Argh! Even the expression "caught one" rankles. It really sounds like men are just these big dumb animals, and you just have to set the right trap. And what kind of self-respecting woman wants to be married to that kind of doofus?

Ok, I am calm now. :wink1: Any advice about introduction level doctrine books would be greatly appreciated.

[quote:822d2e6c61]
Ok, I am calm now. Any advice about introduction level doctrine books would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote:822d2e6c61]

A pretty good one on the WCF that is not too technical is "What Presbyterians Believe" by Gordon Clark. It's for the layman and he goes chapter by chapter. You can get if from trinityfoundation.org.

Also on the WCF, there are two standard commentaries and they are both on the internet. The first is from A.A. Hodge:

http://www.rtrc.net/documents/wcf/hodge/wcftoc.htm

This commentary was actually a text book used at Princeton.

The second is by Robert Shaw:

http://www.rtrc.net/documents/wcf/shaw/wcftoc.htm

Both are very good. You will find a lot of "beef" with these two.

For an introductory level book on doctrine, you might try J I Packer's Concise Theology. Packer is pretty good and does not get too technical.

Mary, my dad had a book on the confession by G. I. Williamson ([i:c422b5f0e1]The Westminster Confession of Faith for Study Classes[/i:c422b5f0e1]) that "explains clearly and fully the meaning of the Confession" (Trinity Book Service description). I read parts of it as a teenager, and found it very clear.

Yes, sadly, I am not making up the Bible in a can. Now pop drinkers can also be edified.

Maybe I have the mind of a cheap, "inspirational" authoress, but I bet the point of that book about men being like busses is that you have to wait for the right one. :)

Have you tried the:

Discount Bible on Dequindre at 11 Mile rds. in Warren.

or Dicksons (oops scratch that) I guess now it's called, hmm... not sure of the name. I think it's Christian Book Distributors. Which I guess would make it a CBD store. They're a pretty big store on Woodward and 11 mile road in Royal Oak, directly across from the Zoo, and they service a lot of area churches.

Tree of Life on Kelly Rd. south of 9. They probably won't have it, but no doubt they'll be happy to order it.

-----

Okay on to "Men are like buses". Standing in the bookstore a while ago I think I counted no less than 5 similar titles. Which, I agree, if I were a man, I'd find it demeaning. Then I noticed that we women have an entire aisle and a 1/2 with books dedicated to our specific needs. While men have two shelves. Now what does that say about women? :rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-18-2004 by ChristianasJourney]

[quote:714a591255]
Maybe I have the mind of a cheap, "inspirational" authoress, but I bet the point of that book about men being like busses is that you have to wait for the right one. :)
[/quote:714a591255]

Well, that is very true. I certainly [i:714a591255]could[/i:714a591255] be married now. But I decided I would rather stay single forever than sign on for a bad marriage. All things considered, I think I made the right choice.

I guess I should give her the benefit of the doubt (the authoress, I mean); it just seems as though she is pandering to the lowest common denominator.

:rolleyes:

Also, what is the story on Joyce Meyer? She seemed quite popular at the bookstores I was at, and she has quite a little section at my local "megabookstore." Those 2 things make her quite suspicious to me. I live in a city where they have "church bells" which chime each hour, but instead of playing a hymn, they play 60s classics (Blowin in the Wind, Puff the Magic Dragon). NO, I'm not kidding. So if they lo-ove Joyce Meyer, I wonder about her as a reflex...

:bouncy:
"Some Daaay my buuus will cooome;
SooomeDAAAAAY when Spriiing is neeew..."

(Snow White Bouncy in the Christian Bookstore)

[Edited on 3-18-2004 by a mere housewife]

Janice, Dickson's is one of the 3 stores I was at!!! The one on Woodward as a matter of fact! That's the store where I had the conversation with the guy. They have changed ownership to something else. It's certainly not the Dickson's I remember. I also tried a chain store, the name of which escapes me right now, and an independent store out in Brighton or Howell (my parents live out there).

I'll have to check out the other 2. Is Discount Bible at Universal Mall?

I am always a little embarrassed at the amount of "women's literature" both at Christian and secular bookstores. We sure seem a little ...(searching for the right word...needy, unsure of ourselves?) Collectively speaking, that is. But that's a whole other issue. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips!

[quote:09d0dcb006]
The second is by Robert Shaw:
[/quote:09d0dcb006]

Wow! He kills sharks AND writes religious commentaries?!

;):spin::lol:

Discount Bible is on the corner of Dequindre just south of 11 Mile. It's in the Parkview Plaza Shopping center (same center as Big Lots).

I know what you mean about wanting to look at a book first.

Joyce Meyer is charismaniac to the nth degree. Don't you ever watch tv? She dresses like Liberace.(sp?). She's also a tad masculine. She is quite entertaining, but I doubt I'd submit to her in matters of doctrine!! I'd sooner eat raw squid....:biggrin:

[quote:bf7e527b0c]
Last I remember it was the shark that got him...
[/quote:bf7e527b0c]

Gregg, you are right! Robert Shaw is the one that got it - Roy Scheider is the one that didn't. I always mix those 2 up. If only the shark had gotten Richard Dreyfuss...

Discount Bible is on the corner of Dequindre just south of 11 Mile. It's in the Parkview Plaza Shopping center (same center as Big Lots).

Janice, OK, I know exactly where you mean. I will have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Joyce Meyer is charismaniac to the nth degree. Don't you ever watch tv? She dresses like Liberace.(sp?). She's also a tad masculine. She is quite entertaining, but I doubt I'd submit to her in matters of doctrine!! I'd sooner eat raw squid....:biggrin:

Melissa, hahaha very descriptive! Does she have kind of a deep voice? I think I've seen her in passing (channel surfing). Here's the thing - I don't watch religious tv. I think it's kind of an oxymoron, and since the whole Jim & Tammy Faye thing, well, I just I've decided that the bath water is pretty dirty, and if there's a baby in there somewhere, I sure can't see him...

On the other hand, if there is a show on that others have been edified by, let me know...I mostly listen to my local Christian talk radio station.

Oooh, I just thought of something - I'll start a new thread...

Mary

:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

[quote:e71744c6fe]...a copy of the Westminster Catechism (or, hopefully "The Complete Idiot's Guide to..." since I have a tendency to feel a leeetle out of my league when we get deep into the doctrine... ) [/quote:e71744c6fe]
I've heard of Dos for Dummies, And all tknds of things for Dummies, but I've never heard of the Westminster Catechism for Dummies. But then... I've never seen an elephant fly either.

[quote:b331255031]
well, I just I've decided that the bath water is pretty dirty, and if there's a baby in there somewhere, I sure can't see him...
[/quote:b331255031]

:lol: GOOD STUFF - I'm SO using your material...hope you don't mind (I'm constantly accused of throwing out the baby with the bathwater when it comes to "theologians").

re: "religious tv" - do you even avoid watching D. James Kennedy? Personally I haven't been too thrilled about him lately...can't put my finger on it...he might be in the bathwater too but...I'd never know it! :tongue:

Chuck, I love sushi, but the squid did me in. There isn't enough soy sauce and wasabi in the universe to make that palatable! I ignored the warning about fins and scales... and unceremoniously spit my squid into my napkin. :tongue:

Mary, I watch that stuff occasionally just to see what other Christians are exposing themselves to. I'm truly fascinated with such things. Would you please u2u or e-mail me?

Sorry, had to say it - Barbecued squid with yakisoba is pretty tasty! :thumbup:

As for watching TV I will occasionally watch EWTN as my own private purgatory. :D

Len, are you sure it's not barbecued eel? Now THAT IS YUMMY! (God be merciful, no fins and scales, but at least it's cooked!)

What, you were raised Catholic and think purgatory aka EWTN is a good way to mortify the flesh?:lol: All in fun. I didn't get the nickname of "Bee" accidentally.

Never had eel, but when I was stationed in Okinawa there was (and is I'm sure) a restaurant called Oceans that had yakisoba, and one of the dishes had barbecued squid. As for eel, never tried it.

Nah, never been Roman Catholic, but I am surrounded by the stuff around here in NOLA - as a matter of fact a statue of Mary stares at me from the neighbor's yard every time I pull out of the driveway. But I bet if there WERE a purgatory the pain would be akin to watching former "Protestants" give their reasons for swimming the Tiber on "The Journey Home".

[Edited on 3-19-2004 by Len]

There is a Christian bookstore in Portland that sells TestaMints! Mints with Bible verses on the wrappers!

Religious TV, I call it the Heresy Channel!

[quote:72ec488cc1][i:72ec488cc1]Originally posted by mjbee[/i:72ec488cc1]
Joyce Meyer is charismaniac to the nth degree. Don't you ever watch tv? She dresses like Liberace.(sp?). She's also a tad masculine. She is quite entertaining, but I doubt I'd submit to her in matters of doctrine!! I'd sooner eat raw squid....:biggrin: [/quote:72ec488cc1]

'Uhhh.. people... do ah have an ay-men ?'

I came across Joyce Meyer the other day here on the UK's God channel. Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back