Any electricians out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
I have a question for anyone skilled in the art of electricity. I can do basic wiring etc. I have installed some outdoor colored spotlights on my palms in the front yard. The setup is supposed to be waterproof, however, when I run my sprinklers, the setup is shorting out from time to time. The lights are getting wet and the obvious is occuring. Any suggestions?

Im only studying I wish I could help. But you may want to check to see if any of the connections leading to the spot lights are exposed or not properly covered.

blade

Originally posted by Bladestunner316
Im only studying I wish I could help. But you may want to check to see if any of the connections leading to the spot lights are exposed or not properly covered.

blade

Nathan,
I have the best weather proofed assemblies; but the still seem to take on some water. I don't really get it as I know plenty of people have set ups like this.

Is there a gasket/seal on the recepticle end where the bulb screws into to keep water out?

Assuming that you have a GFCI (which the Code requires) you might want to check that it is wired correctly. It is possible too that it has tripped too many times and needs replaced.

Another weird question - are the sprinklers on a timer connected to the same circuit?

[Edited on 1-8-2006 by gwine]

Originally posted by pastorway
Originally posted by Scott Bushey
when I run my sprinklers, the setup is shorting out from time to time.

Any suggestions?

Don't run the sprinklers.......

:lol:

In all seriousness, Scott, take Phillip's advice and get rid of your setup to boot. I watched a training video (I am an industrial electrician) where a young man who was washing a car was killed (it was a home video his dad was making) by a live electrical cord laying on the ground near the car. That and the other deaths that occurred during the video were not pleasant to watch.

You do not want to let anyone on your lawn where the ground is wet and there is 110V AC power not controlled properly.

If any of the suggestions here do not help, get someone out there who can fix it or get rid of it.

Gerry is right. I was going to post the same thing this morning. Just a couple of months ago we saw a brick mason get killed at a neighboring jobsite. How? He was building a mailbox pedestal in a flowerbed. The flower bed had vanity lighting (What we call those things that shine on plants at night.) The supply was by code, not using that worthless direct burial line, properly run in 3" conduit buried 18" inches deep. Through a combiantion of, 'That will never happen' incidents the circuit was compromised and when he stepped into a damp spot in the flower bed and then contacted the rebar in the pedestal he went live and then dead.

Originally posted by gwine
Assuming that you have a GFCI (which the Code requires) you might want to check that it is wired correctly. It is possible too that it has tripped too many times and needs replaced.

Another weird question - are the sprinklers on a timer connected to the same circuit?

[Edited on 1-8-2006 by gwine]

I do have a GFCI; it is wired correctly.

Originally posted by LawrenceU
Gerry is right. I was going to post the same thing this morning. Just a couple of months ago we saw a brick mason get killed at a neighboring jobsite. How? He was building a mailbox pedestal in a flowerbed. The flower bed had vanity lighting (What we call those things that shine on plants at night.) The supply was by code, not using that worthless direct burial line, properly run in 3" conduit buried 18" inches deep. Through a combiantion of, 'That will never happen' incidents the circuit was compromised and when he stepped into a damp spot in the flower bed and then contacted the rebar in the pedestal he went live and then dead.

Good advice. I will abandon the vanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back