Almost tax time! How will you be filing?

How will you file?

• A professional will file my taxes

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • I will file myself

Votes: 37 60.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arch2k

Puritan Board Graduate
Tax time is soon approaching. How will you be doing your taxes this year? Will you be filing, or having a pro do it?

I have done my own taxes for the most part and found it pretty straight forward. Have any of you benefited from taking it to a pro?

I've always done my own taxes. This is the first year that I'm going to try using tax software with e-filing. Looks like I might be subject to the AMT this year as well.

How much did you make last year?

Send it in. :(

If you don't have alot deductions or tax right offs I would do it your self.

I have my own business with a several expenses so I will be using a pro. However, when you do decide to go with a pro make sure you get up front what the costs are for doing your paper work.

Things to ask the pro.

1. How do you charge and how much? Is it hourly or does it depend on the type of paper work that needs to be filed.

2. What is your education?

3. How long have you been an accountant?

4. Are you familiar with my current tax status?

5. Who will be responsible for my return? Get their name and meet them.

6. Are you affiliated with any professsional groups? What are their names?

7. Ask them if they are pro-active, this means they will notify you when there are changes in tax laws and remind you to submit additional paperwork. (This is usually for business owners.)

Remember, they are working for you and they are your "employee". Just like any employee who likes to slack when the cats away accountants are not immune to this temptation. Go into the meeting confident, prepared and now the terminology regarding your taxes. This is important, if not they could tax advantage of you. It's your hard earned money and you want to get the best possible take advantages for your money.

Jeff_Bartel

Tax time is soon approaching. How will you be doing your taxes this year? Will you be filing, or having a pro do it?

I will be doing them myself...I use turbo tax, as it is much easier than Tax Cut, I've used Tax-cut in the past, but Turbo Tax IS a much more straight forward program. They even have one for Business taxes.

Have any of you benefited from taking it to a pro?

I had to laugh at this comment, the first year after my husband and I married, I did our taxes, but he didn't 'trust' I did them right, as our return was over $3,000, and he insisted I take them to a professional to have them done....

Not a problem, He's always had someone else do his taxes (and never had that large a return), and if it's going to help build his trust in our new marriage... I can do that not a problem. so I did, our return was about about $800 less than what I figured, so as I looked over the paperwork noticed he bypassed certain deductions, and asked about them, He told me, "You don't qualify for those" I said, "Yes, based on our family size and income we do." I called the Office Manager over and asked if she could rerun the return, as there was a descrepancy between what I figured and what he figured for us...turned out I was right...and it took the return back up the $800 difference. (made me wonder how many other people he missed deductions on)

So yes, I've benefited from taking it to a pro...My husband was happy, it built his confidence in my ability to do our taxes while not paying the $180 fee someone else charges, and the Office Manager offered me a job!! (which I politely declined).

Last edited:
I used to use a pro, but realized that I could do what they were doing and save a few hundred dollars. I spend $30 to do it online at H & R Block and e-file.

I use Turbotax Online and pay for the Audit Defense. I've been doing my taxes online for about 4 years now and it is really convenient. Given deployments, investment properties, and home businesses I never feel like I can trust somebody else to do it right. I could actually get it done for free at the Tax Center on Base.

I've been doing mine with TurboTax even back in the day when it was running only on an abacus. I like doing it by myself so I can grimace and cry like a little girl without bothering anybody. :2cents: <--- What I have left after taxes.

My wife uses pencil, paper, calculator, photocopy the final result for permanence.

Of course, I have the entire set of the Internal Revenue Code, related Treasury Regulations, and an online copy of all Revenue Rulings nearby for reference.

Happily, we hardly ever have to use any of them. Our taxes are pretty simple. If only we could include vet bills for the cat, then we'd save some real money.

Last edited:
I use a pro. He saves me many times the cost of his fee every year.

Funny thing I don't do my own dentistry either.:think:

Turbo-tax on-line Free

I can recommend Turbo-Tax on-line, too. I have few things to consider in preparing but I would not benefit from a tax man at this time. I could have paid to have the state taxes prepared through them but decided agaist it as it would have cost me. Thank God I am getting some back this year.

My wife uses pencil, paper, calculator, photocopy the final result for permanence.

Of course, I have the entire set of the Internal Revenue Code, related Treasury Regulations, and an online copy of all Revenue Rulings nearby for reference.

Happily, we hardly ever have to use any of them. Our taxes are pretty simple. If only we could include vet bills for the cat, then we'd save some real money.

You can at least write off the sales tax of those vet bills. I saved every receipt all year so that we can write off all the sales tax we paid. I will soon see how much over and above the general deduction I will save.

I have done my own taxes for the most part and found it pretty straight forward. Have any of you benefited from taking it to a pro?

Because of my job I have a myriad of deductions and calculations. I use a professional tax preparer.

Just finished! For the first time, I am itemizing, and look at all of those deductions! In fact, this software works so seamlessly, that I am probably going to switch from Microsoft Money to Quicken as well. Impressed...

Just got my Federal refund deposited into my account this morning. State refund came Monday. I think I filed the 3rd or 4th. And no, I won't give you my account number.

I think I like doing e-file, but it still bothers me to spend money to file when I could do it for the price of a stamp (or two with the state.) Still, the program (TaxCut) did catch a couple deductions I might have missed and down the road if I ever get into investing outside my 401K it will be easier to track.

Hey Gerry, I got mine today as well. As you know we bank at the same institution. Furthermore, I think I've just about got your password cracked. If I can get my hands on your refund I'll take you out for lunch. :cheers:

Hey Gerry, I got mine today as well. As you know we bank at the same institution. Furthermore, I think I've just about got your password cracked. If I can get my hands on your refund I'll take you out for lunch. :cheers:
Let's go to the Great Dane Brew Pub, then. They don't have Velvet Hammer anymore but the Foxy Brown (8%) was pretty smooth and slightly bitter, just the way I like it.

I want to have "people" if I get audited.
Actually TaxCut comes with "Worry Free Audit Support", for whatever that is worth. There's got to be someone at the other end of the line, right? :D Since I've never been audited (there's always a first time) I don't know whether I should be concerned or not. But then, my taxes are so simple that I can do them in less than an hour. It takes me longer to recheck it twice and fill out the forms than it does to do them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back