All about Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggy

Puritan Board Freshman
My cousin is now studying in Texas and she's probably staying for a few years... I'm thinking of going over to Houston one day and pay her a visit.

Never been to America... so can any PB'ers tell me how TX is like?

It's a rugged land that lacks indoor plumbing. Bandits run wild, robbing wagon trains and stagecoaches at their leisure. Electricity is a luxury and your only security is a gun; there ain't no law 'round there.

My advice: come heavily armed or don't come at all.

(I'm totally kidding...)

Very nice people, great mexican food for the most part, and beautiful landscapes especially in the Hill Country, and lots of people from the PB live in Texas.

One disclaimer though: it can be very very hot in the summer.

It is a great place to come and visit. In Houston, there is a lot of tourist things to do. Pastor Greco could give you a better idea of the activities there.

This is not about Texas specifically, but I found this video both funny and true. This is an introduction to the parts of American culture that seem odd to foreigners (especially to students), and how to understand Americans :) There are 5 parts, and this is part 1.

[video=youtube;tPfB6GIjM9Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPfB6GIjM9Q&feature=related[/video]

I'm sure other members will be able to tell you more about Texas specifically.

Houston is an extremely large city (2.3 million not including suburbs I believe) in the Southeast corner of the state. Extremely hot and humid during the summer months. Texas is 3rd largest state in the united states and has some areas that are hot and dry, some that are hot and humid, some hot and cool depending on the time of year.

While in Houston be sure to visit Founders Baptist Church and you will be truly blessed!

I was born in Houston, lived most of my life in Houston, raised six children in Houston and now live only 30 miles north of Houston.
Houston is a great place, very busy, very hot right now and this will likely change only when we near Christmas!

Ah, the food. I'm pretty much a meat-eater. Steak + boiled vegetables + glass o' wine would be my ideal dinner. I'm interested in Mexican stuff though... and yes the ice cream!

Ah, the food. I'm pretty much a meat-eater. Steak + boiled vegetables + glass o' wine would be my ideal dinner. I'm interested in Mexican stuff though... and yes the ice cream!

The greatest contribution Mexican culture has made to the world is their food. I could eat it everyday for the rest of my life and never get tired of it.

Now I'm hungry...

Texas is hot, humid, flat, open, and the landscape is quite boring. I miss hills, mountains, forests, 4 seasons, nice bodies of water...
Haha, but this is all coming from a non-native Texan living in Texas for college, so you can take or leave my opinion.

Texas is the best! Of course, I am biased having lived 27 of my 29 years here. I currently live in Abilene. Texas is so large, you will find a good mix of virtually every culture here. We have small towns and enormous cities. I have heard that the population of Houston alone is greater than the entire population of neigboring Oklahoma!
As other PBers have already attested we are know for being friendly and for our excellent food. You have to eat some steak while here! Texans also love their sports teams, especially football, from high school on up to professional. Unfortunately, everyone is also correct about it being very hot here. Here in Abilene we just broke an old record last week when the temperature crept up to 106. We have consistently had 100degree weather for the last few weeks.

Aside from the heat, the only real knock on Texas that I can think of is that there is really not a big reformed presence here. That doesn't mean that its non-existent as you can certainly find good Presbyterian churches here, but compared to other churches, such as SBC, the ratio is like 20 to 1.
Anything else, please feel free to ask!

Texas is hot, humid, flat, open, and the landscape is quite boring. I miss hills, mountains, forests, 4 seasons, nice bodies of water...
Haha, but this is all coming from a non-native Texan living in Texas for college, so you can take or leave my opinion.

You're not only a non-native of Texas, you couldn't be from a more different place. At least you speak the language. Oh, wait...

I've been to Texas multiple times to camp out on my aunt and uncle's land. It's set back 30 miles from the nearest town (pop 10,000), nestled amongst red iron ore hills and surrounded by thick forrest. In fact, I've never been to Texas and been anywhere without forrest or hills. Also, while in the summer it was above 100 degrees F, in the fall it was a cool 60-70 degrees, and in the winter a freezing 30 degrees or so.

Texas is a biiiiig states, and has all different types of climates. ;)

The ice cream you want is Blue Bell - the standard is their Homemade Vanilla.

The beer to look for is Shiner Bock.

Texas geography ranges from tropical coast to an 8700 foot mountain, from very humid to remote deserts.

The post about guns and outlaws wasn't entirely humorous - Texas does have a 'Castle Doctrine' law where you can shoot first to defend your family or property in many cases. And the Mexican drug gangs have spread across the border. (Concealed carry license holders can, of course, carry in church unless there is a sign posted by the door). Houston and Dallas aren't really western cities.

Unique things to see around Houston - NASA, Moody Gardens, and the USS Texas - the last surviving Dreadnought. Bayou Bend art museum if you are into art. A side trip to San Antonio is recommended - Alamo, Riverwalk.

One other thing - you'll need a car to get around Houston. Public transit lags what is found in most international cities - including Dallas.

It's a rugged land that lacks indoor plumbing. Bandits run wild, robbing wagon trains and stagecoaches at their leisure. Electricity is a luxury and your only security is a gun; there ain't no law 'round there.

(I'm totally kidding...)

but Pasadena's nice this time of year. :lol:

I flew to Houston last fall for work and stayed for one day. I stuck to a place near the airport called Woodlands or something. Coming from rural Alberta I had never ever seen so many black people and mexicans in one place. It was good, but the city definitely did not have a western feeling..

You can use public transportation.

I flew to Houston last fall for work and stayed for one day. I stuck to a place near the airport called Woodlands or something. Coming from rural Alberta I had never ever seen so many black people and mexicans in one place. It was good, but the city definitely did not have a western feeling..

You can use public transportation.

Just for sport, I plugged in Bush airport to the Hilton Galleria, leaving now

The best routing was 117 minutes, one transfer, .39 mile walk.

The best return for 4PM was 133 minutes, 1 transfer, but only a .15 mile walk (you can make it faster 122 minutes - if you walk .41 miles.

Add on 90 + degree heat (30+ C) high humidity, and possible rain, and public transit becomes more problematic.

It is fairly viable for Park and Ride from transit centers to office centers, during rush hour.

Everything is big in Texas.

This will be especially evident to you from a tiny "city state."

Texas is the equivalent of 5 American states with 2 leaning west, 1 great plains, 2 southern and all that entails.

Some of my favorite things about Texas: 70mph day, 65mph night speed limits on most federal and state roads, no state income tax, and a respect for personal freedom and with that, responsibility.

Some of my favorite things about Texas: 70mph day, 65mph night speed limits on most federal and state roads, no state income tax, and a respect for personal freedom and with that, responsibility.

80mph in some places. I know IH20 far west like going to El Paso is and also a stretch of IH10 north of San Antonio is also.

80mph in some places. I know IH20 far west like going to El Paso is and also a stretch of IH10 north of San Antonio is also.

Yes, and I think it is particularly reasonable and "Texas like" that the 80mph speed limit (wide open sparsely populated areas) has a 65mph nighttime speed limit. Every Texas knows you can't see and make as good judgments at night.:graduate:

Or come prepared to give to those who ask you? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back