Abortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sola_gratia

Puritan Board Freshman
I wasn't sure whether to put this under general or defending the faith. I decided general because I know how to show another believer it is wrong through scripture, but I have no clue how to show an unbeliever it's wrong. Any suggestions?

[Edited on 8-7-2005 by sola_gratia]

:)

There are educational web sites that you could point them to. In my humble opinion, one needs to avoid references to sensationalist web sites with pictures of the barbaric operation... it has the effect of defeatism... because the shock at the pictures turns them off... and they won't read them information... ultimately, if someone is researching this and realizes there are resources out there... they could find gruesome images of the procedure. These web sites are clean, informative, and helpful:

AbortionFacts.com
JustTheFacts.Org

Originally posted by sola_gratia
I wasn't sure whether to put this under general or defending the faith. I decided general because I know how to show another believer it is wrong through scripture, but I have no clue how to show an unbeliever it's wrong. Any suggestions?

The best way to deal with the unbeliever is highlighting the law of God

Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple;

Exo 20:13 "You shall not murder.

Establish this with the unbeliever: Is abortion murder?

:ditto: It is a question of 'when does life begin' and 'what is murder.' On what basis can the Christian answer these questions in contrast to the unbeliever?

See Psalm 139.13-16; Exodus 20.13; Exodus 21.22-25; Gen. 1.26-27; Gen. 9.6; etc.

Also, the Westminster Larger Catechism on the Ten Commandments (particularly the Sixth) and its comments on the use of the moral law for unbelievers is quite helpful.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Originally posted by sola_gratia

The best way to deal with the unbeliever is highlighting the law of God

Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple;

Exo 20:13 "You shall not murder.

Establish this with the unbeliever: Is abortion murder?

:ditto:

point well made Scott-- my links only address sanctity of life and repercussions of abortion... Life is precious, because we're created in the image of God, and God's Perfect and Holy Law says murder is wrong, and abortion is murder.

Think about what "ture religion" is - taking care of widows and orphans. Exstension from that is definitely applicable to abortion.

Also, you have to define "time of life" whihc, according to Psalm 51 is at conception.

We as Christians are not powerless now and make one effort at a time to stop abortion. I took great joy in my participation for a short-time in sidewalk counseling with other Christians in the vicinity an abortion clinic, and seeing a couple change their mind about going in and letting a so called medical doctor butcher their baby. By the kind hand of providence, they instead opted to hear the Gospel and choose life instead and go to crisis pregnancy center"”instead of seeing that baby turn into another statistic. (And yes, we followed those boundary regulations and did not trespass or come on the grounds.)

It is a joy to be an advocate ("parakletos") for the unborn. Some of you might consider doing it at sometime in your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back