A "short work"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peairtach

Puritan Board Doctor
Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved: For he will finish the work, and cut short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth. (Romans 9:27-28, KJV)

For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea, yet a remnant of them shall return: the consumption decreed shall overflow with righteousness. For the Lord GOD of hosts shall make a consumption, even determined, in the midst of all the land. (Isa 10:22-23, KJV)

What is meant this "short work" of the Lord's?

Peairtach,
The translation I get from the Greek For "short work" are :
syntemno- to cut short
logos-what has been declared, or said

So if using strictly the Greek translations, then short work means that God will do what he said he will do in a hurry. I hope this is helpful.

From my reading on it, it seems to refer to God's just judgment(s) on Israel after the flesh, which would yet result in a remnant being left, and a remnant of believing Jews being left.

For he will finish the work, and cut short in righteousness:

This may betoken a mercy. Because the work of judgment is cut short, a remnant is left.
:2cents:

The "short reckoning" seems to mean the speedy completing of His word, both in cutting off the one portion and saving the other - Jamieson, Fausset, Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back