A quote from Handel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confessor

Puritan Board Senior
I remember seeing a quote from Handel -- I'm pretty sure it was Handel -- a few days ago that demonstrated his Christianity and love of God's grace. I just read in my Western Civ. textbook that Handel was thoroughly secular, so I'd like to look again at that quote and perhaps show it to my professor. Can anyone link me to that? I have searched for a long time.

I remember seeing a quote from Handel -- I'm pretty sure it was Handel -- a few days ago that demonstrated his Christianity and love of God's grace. I just read in my Western Civ. textbook that Handel was thoroughly secular, so I'd like to look again at that quote and perhaps show it to my professor. Can anyone link me to that? I have searched for a long time.

The Messiah?

The Messiah?

The quote was mentioned in conjunction with the Messiah.

Also, the textbook mentioned Handel's Messiah but said that he was otherwise very secular.

The Messiah?

The quote was mentioned in conjunction with the Messiah.

Also, the textbook mentioned Handel's Messiah but said that he was otherwise very secular.

This is quite an astounding assertion, as one could find a handful of Handel's contemporaries and countrymen who did not make such overtly Christian works. No one forced him, he did it willingly.

I have a pamphlet somewhere discussing his faith; I'll see if I can dig it up.

Cheers,

Handel was an earthy Lutheran among more straight-laced Englishmen. Many were scandalized at "The Messiah" because it involved regular performers treating the word of God in a popular concert. Handel rebuffed them, saying in effect, that he knew his Bible as well as any bishop and believed it was proper to bring to the people.

No question he knew his Bible, and that he treasured putting God's word to music.

I don't have any quote re the Messiah, but I recall reading of him saying on his death bed that he hoped to meet his "good God", and "his sweet Lord and Savior, on the day of his Resurrection."

Handel was an earthy Lutheran among more straight-laced Englishmen.

A good point! What is the definition of "secular" being used. Secular compared to what? If compared to the piosities of certain forms of Christianity, most of the Lutherans and Calvinists would be considered secular.

Cheers,

Handel was an earthy Lutheran among more straight-laced Englishmen. Many were scandalized at "The Messiah" because it involved regular performers treating the word of God in a popular concert. Handel rebuffed them, saying in effect, that he knew his Bible as well as any bishop and believed it was proper to bring to the people.

No question he knew his Bible, and that he treasured putting God's word to music.

I don't have any quote re the Messiah, but I recall reading of him saying on his death bed that he hoped to meet his "good God", and "his sweet Lord and Savior, on the day of his Resurrection."

mmmmm... I love Handel. Not only did he write a remarkably beautiful masterpiece, he did it to glorify God. He loved the Lord.

Classical music is perhaps my first (chronologically) love, and it makes it all the richer for me to perform works that were written to praise our magnificent Creator.

John Newton, that old converted slave-trader, preached a series of sermons based on every biblical text Handel used in Messiah. It's quite a thick book!

Contrary to popular belief, Handel did not right the libretto for "Messiah". It was compiled by Charles Jennens, the librettist who worked with Handel on other works such as "Saul".

I remember reading somewhere that Handel wrote yhe Messiah in a white heat of composition in a space of about ten days, after which he said something like "methought I did see the whole Heaven open before me...."
It certainly sounds as if he had, especially that closing chorus "Worthy is the Lamb"

-----Added 9/19/2009 at 04:08:12 EST-----

Incidentally if you look at that first sentence above which I typed rather fast, you may see a clue to why in historical times they spelt the definite article with a y instead of a t.
It was clearly because they are side by side on the keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back