A chart with word definitions...Wonderful!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

0isez

Puritan Board Freshman
Nothing causes me to interrupt my bible study more than looking up the original word in either the Hebrew or the Greek from my English bible. A lot of times I will notice that the word in question has morphed or evolved over time into a different arena in terms of scope, innuendo or even meaning. Trying to flesh out the meaning of words, from English to Hebrew to Greek can be time consuming and downright distracting to my bible study. It takes time paging through lexingtons, concordances and dictionaries. So, I thought, wouldn't it be great to take oh, let’s say the most common 100 words that have morphed into a different arena and make an At-A-Glance Chart. This chart in the English section would define the modern take or mentality behind the word instead of the dryer dictionary offering. The below chart is something I thought would be a cool time saver…

ENGLISHDEFINITION /Common UsageHEBREWDEFINITION
RuleGovern over, which implies a system which may be one or more persons taking charge in a bureaucratic wayMashal

Dominion over. To take precedence and dominate whatever and whoever is subjected to your rule (Gen 1:26-27)

I really don’t think it would have to be exhaustive for the average layman since there are key words which have lost their meaning from ancient to modern. I didn’t include the Greek section due to brevity and writing space. If something like this exists I would like to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back