14 Volumes, $75 "Barnes' Notes on the Old/New Testaments"

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwaysreforming

Puritan Board Sophomore
I saw this in the lastest Christian Book Dist.'s catalog. Hardback. It says:
"One of the best-selling commentary sets of all time! James Murphy and Albert Barnes's conservative verse by verse explanation of the KJV text is dependable and profitable for sermon prep, Bible Study, and teaching. A thoroughly evangelical resource, it offers pastors and laypeople a fine blend of scholarly insight, non-technical language, and practical application. 10,712 pages total."

Is this a good and reliable resource? What thinkest y'all?

Don't bother with it....

Get "Kingdom Prologue" by Meredith Kline instead and or "The Unfolding Mystery" by Edmond Clowney. If you have $75, buy GK Beale's commentary on "Revelation". Revelation is a summary of the OT - Redeptive History. This work better explains all the types/shadows/imagry in the OT.

Find the Westminster Seminary book store, in San Diego, on the web. They have good prices - solid Reformed sources - low shipping cost - excellent service.

[Edited on 12-31-2004 by Robin]

I wouldn't bother with it either. Now, I do have my eye on Calvin's Institues and the Complete Works of Warfield.

Originally posted by Ivan
I wouldn't bother with it either. Now, I do have my eye on Calvin's Institues and the Complete Works of Warfield.

Calvin's Institutes will surely be a blessing to you in 2005, brother! ;)

With the encouragment of you all, I will buy Calvin and Warfield. My former college pastor, who introduced me to the Reformed faith, gave the big thumbs up to Warfield.

Time for some heavy duty reading in 2005!

Oh, by the way, I'm thinking about getting Jonathan Edwards' Works also. More Puritans too. Maybe throw in a modern writer like C.S. Lewis.....

There is SOOOO much to read!!! :book2: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back