1 Tim. 2:6

Status
Not open for further replies.

cih1355

Puritan Board Junior
1 Timothy 2:6 says, "who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time.". Does this verse mean that Christ gave Himself as a ransom for all of the elect or does it mean that Christ's atonement is sufficient to cover the sins of everyone?

Elect-of-every-race/identification

The Bible gives us no warrant to speak of hypothetical universalism (a universally sufficient atonement--but not universally efficient). This is a speculative doctrine, fraught with problems.

Reading the context:
Paul is speaking (v.1) about all kinds of men. Pray without exceptions (this would be wrong: "that guy/race/occupation I just thought of, I'm not praying for him/them!"). V.4 then speaks of "all men," which in the context surely cannot mean every individual man, but rather a general will that mankind generally, all manners of men, might be saved (thus justifying an indiscriminate gospel call). Finally v.6 indicates that Jesus was given as a ransom for "all"--yes, wider than just Jews, Gentiles too; but I think that Paul is not thinking of "mankind without traditional distinctions" here, but more precisely of the elect-of-every-race. I think this because 1) the blood of Christ has particular application, not general; and 2) in the next verse he refers to his special calling to the Gentiles; the sending of God and the calling of God are each quite particular. We are sent to gather in the elect, we just don't know who they are.

If you apply a universalistic hermeneutic to 'all' in the NT, then you have some weird things to explain elsewhere where 'all' is used.

Originally posted by Solo Christo
Jew and Gentile.

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
Elect-of-every-race/identification

:ditto:

Notice also the parallel logic between 1 Tim 2:4,5 and Romans 3:28,29 -

1 Tim 2:4,5
who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God

Romans 3:28,29
Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, since God is one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back