1 Corinthians 3:17 and why I still use the KJV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
you - plural?

[BIBLE]1 Corinthians 3:17[/BIBLE]

This was meant to be a simple "view" before posting which for some reason has posted - hence I cannot change the title so I will just post afresh and come back and link since I cannot edit the title.

continued on http://www.puritanboard.com/f45/1-corinthians-3-17-why-i-still-use-KJV-80938/

Last edited:
16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

ye = plural, yes?

εἴ τις τὸν ναὸν τοῦ θεοῦ φθείρει, φθερεῖ τοῦτον ὁ θεός· ὁ γὰρ ναὸς τοῦ θεοῦ ἅγιός ἐστιν, οἵτινές ἐστε ὑμεῖς.

2nd Person personal pronoun - nominative plural.

So the answer is: Yes it is plural.

I am using Word to get this post up – third time providentially D.V.

Reading the David Prior commentary on 1 Corinthians 3:17 he seems to be making the point that "I am the temple of the Holy Spirit" is taught in 1 Corinthians 6:19 but not here. (p60) Looking at the text I see what he is hinting at after consulting the KJV which preserves the plural of "you".

The you in 1 Corinthians 3:17 is plural and refers to the church members together. This to some extent complicates the matter of what Paul intends here.

Questions
1. In addressing the Corinthians (in this parable of the building) does Paul to refer to them in the plural consistently?

2. Does does the reference to the individual “he” refer to the teacher building on Paul’s foundation? (FF Bruce seems to think it could be Judaizers using Cephas’ name)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back