Who Would YOU Listen To?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritAndTruth

Puritan Board Freshman
I think it's safe to say that if we're all on something called "The Puritan Board", that we can all pretty much agree that the Puritans "had it right"-- and, they still have it right... The Puritan devines, too many to list here, would all be excellent, if not the best resources for proper reformed Christian education OUTSIDE of Holy Scripture.

My question is, if you met someone, saved or not, doesn't matter, who expressed an interest, or asked a question that indicated interest in Reformed Theology, what MODERN (someone who is still living) TEACHING would you recommend to that person for a proper, error-free start in learning Reformed Theology?

Who would you recommend, and WHY?

RC is independant; independancy is not consistant w/ being reformed. I suggest none other than my own pastor, Dr. Mcmahon. His book on the two wills of God is excellent. APutritansMind site is a plethora of fine reformed material covering from the simple to complex issues.

I would also say that apart from the Scriptures, no writer is going to be completely error free since we all err.

Good question.

A good place to start is to have them read the Westminster Confession along with the Word of God. As far as teachers Pastor McMahon's website is great, Sproul is good for basic introductions, likewise Horton and the boyz can feed a steady diet of reformed thought.

RC Sproul or Mike Horton would be excellent. Would also recommend J.I. Packer, and point them to his book Knowing God.

Mike Horton all the way. :up: :up:

:ditto: Horton is great at explaining and defending the whole plethora of truths making up the big picture of classical Reformed theology (rather than just the doctrines of grace), and in turn bringing that to a level all believers can understand. He is also good at effectively relating that truth to our actual lives as well as to contemporary views and scholarship, both Christian and secular.

The books of his I would recommend people start with are Putting Amazing Back Into Grace (on the nature of salvation and grace), In the Face of God (on the true spirituality of the Christian life and the nature of sanctifying grace) and God of Promise (on the covenantal structure of Scripture and its massive implications for the Christian worldview and life).

J.I. Packer

I am honestly finding Horton a little bland. I am stymied in his Covenant Theology. I have found some good things there, but still need to get through it. Maybe it was the Blueberry Beer ( Uck ) I had before reading that didn't set right with me!

Last edited:
Francis Nigel Lee

All his works are free, he is more committed to the original standards than most presbyterians, and considers himself a fervent student of Calvin.

Plus, hundreds and hundreds of lectures and sermons by Lee. You will get a great intro to reformed systematics (and its free!) without much of the ethical dualism that has tagged along in the last century.

Joel Beeke. His grasp of the Puritans is enormous. His focus on experential matters and piety are to be emulated. He's pastored for 30 years, penned numerous books, is an editor, publisher, teacher at a seminary etc. He truly lives the Puritan/Protestant work ethic. His sermons and lectures are also easy on the ears.

Joel Beeke. His grasp of the Puritans is enormous. His focus on experential matters and piety are to be emulated. He's pastored for 30 years, penned numerous books, is an editor, publisher, teacher at a seminary etc. He truly lives the Puritan/Protestant work ethic. His sermons and lectures are also easy on the ears.

:agree:

Wow-- these are all really good suggestions. Thanks for your input. I'll definitely have to check out Mike Horton.

I'm a little surprised no one suggested Robert Reymond, who is preaching at our church for the month of November.

Reymond is to be appreciated! I have had the opportunity to sit under his preaching on a number of occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back