What do you guys make of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[/COLOR]
I take it the Dr gave him some blood thinners? I so that was indeed an answer to prayer.
No, actually, they did not give him blood thinners, because of another health issue. But that really isn't the discussion here. The point is, God answered prayer.

I am happy the pt. did well for no doubt if God performed a true miracle we now can answer the RC church.

I would agree with Esther's quote and don't see her statement as being charismatic at all. Haven't all of us prayed at some point that God would give doctors wisdom, to make right decisions, etc. I believe the Holy spirit does compel us to pray for certain things and certain people sometimes.

We might be more inclined to be more charitable to this story had it not come from a program like The 700 Club.

I completely understand that. I didn't even watch the video I was just agreeing with Esther in the general sense of her statement which I quoted her not in her assessment of the video. Hope that makes sense.

A final thought/comment. I understand the caution and skepticism over how to deal with the seemingly charismatic nature of the OP's question. I certainly understand how careful "spiritual gifts" need to treated by those in leadership who must teach on this subject. What I do not understand is mocking or dismissing those who have felt moved by the Holy Spirit to act< not that a little humor is wrong or bad>. Too, I believe, that God does have truly regenerate people within the charismatic churches-have not some of you admitted coming from such backgrounds? I have never been a member of one, nor do I believe that what they profess, in many aspects, is the true Gospel-much like the Church in Corinth did not teach/preach the true Gospel...they required correction- as well as the modern day charismatics do-but it should be handled in biblical godly love for one another.

Finally I believe that it is completely believable/possible that this Dr. was moved by the Holy Spirit to pray for the man in the video and to attempt a last fibrillation of his heart-we cannot know that through these two acts God was not involved. There is no obvious extra or special revelation involved to make us leery...is there?

It's from the 700 club? Ahhhhhh.... then that shapes my judgment a little more.

While I believe that the 700 club has done much good, I've never been too crazy about their prayer time when they start talking about seeing people's injuries and sicknesses in vision. That's a very risky thing to do, and it reminds me too much of people like Benny Hinn and Oral Roberts.

I think perhaps I was unclear or at least incomplete in my explanations of my understanding of how God supernaturally intervenes in the lives of His creation. I still stand by my position that the gifts of the Spirit that we read about in the book of Acts, such as tongues and prophecy (including direct revelation, such as God speaking to people) have ceased with the end of the Apostolic age. Now with that being said, this does not however, mean that all miracles have ceased. I am certainly not arguing, nor have I seen anyone in this thread argue, that God cannot or does not miraculously heal people in this day and age. Now if some see this as a contradiction, let me explain...

The fact that God may choose to heal someone today through a miracle is just that - a miracle wrought by the hand of God. This is completely different than the gifts of healing that the apostles possessed. Those gifts were given to the apostles to confirm their authority and the apostles regularly displayed miraculous signs. But now in this present age, our authority is based on the word of God.

As for direct revelation, I understand the idea of desiring to by sympathetic to those who sincerely believe they have heard God speak to them, and I am not saying that everyone who makes this claim I just rebuke and call them a liar in their face. But I know that there is far too much damage that can come, both to the individual and to the corporate body of Christ, if we accept the belief that the canon of Scripture remains open or incomplete. And this is exactly what those individuals who believe God still speaks via non-canonical revelation are doing.

:agree:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back