Wallstreet journal on Rick Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read this yesterday via an emailed pdf.

In a word: Yikes!

There's nothing new in this. I was exposed to this stuff in the early 80's and was tempted by intermittently until the early 90's. If memory serves, we heard from a young church planting pastor in Lake Forrest named Rick Warren.

It's nothing but a confusion of the power politics of this world with the Kingdom of God.

There is a place for "power," it's in the "civic kingdom," which is a covenant of works, a legal realm.

The church, however, is not that place. It is the kingdom of God, the charter of which is the covenant of grace - with the possible exception of the final step of discipline. It's not a place for manipulating folk into doing what you want. It's not a place for ministers to salve their egos by turning their ministries to focus on "buildings, bodies, and budgets."

The church of Christ is THE place for preaching the gospel, administering the sacraments, and discipline (the final step is perhaps the kingdom of the left hand - Berkhof's phrase).

I know from experience that the motive for this business of manipulation and power politics is often the need of ministers to feel important and successful. Very few congregants ever tell a minister: "say, preaching the gospel is the most important thing." Very few ministers tell other ministers that. When they gather, they too often talk about B, B, and B. They compare numbers. Some of that's normal as these things might give some objective measure of what's happening in the congregation, but it creates a culture that pushes ministers to "grow" their congregations by almost any means possible.

The church is not an extension of the minister. The church is Christ's. Full stop. The minister is a minister and nothing more or less.

Here endeth today's second rant.

rsc

...hmm - obviously an article written from a hostile POV, with no balancing voice.

Are we so willing to swallow the pagan media's dreck and desire to promote controversy as they attack our brethren?

What if this was an attack article on the introduction of the Doctrines of Grace in Baptist churches?

-pax-

-JD

Acts 2:46-47

46And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

[Edited on 9-7-2006 by jdlongmire]

Originally posted by jdlongmire
...hmm - obviously an article written from a hostile POV, with no balancing voice.

Are we so willing to swallow the pagan media's dreck and desire to promote controversy as they attack our brethren?

What if this was an attack article on the introduction of the Doctrines of Grace in Baptist churches?

-pax-

-JD

Acts 2:46-47

46And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

http://www.svchapel.org/Resources/Articles/print_articles.asp?ID=112

MR. WARREN:You know, 500 years ago, the first Reformation with Luther and then Calvin, was about beliefs. I think a new reformation is going to be about behavior. The first Reformation was about creeds; I think this one will be about deeds. I think the first one was about what the church believes; I think this one will be about what the church does.

The first Reformation actually split Christianity into dozens and then hundreds of different segments. I think this one is actually going to bring them together. Now, you're never going to get Christians, of all their stripes and varieties, to agree on all of the different doctrinal disputes and things like that, but what I am seeing them agree on are the purposes of the church. And I find great uniformity in the fact that I see this happening all the time. Last week I spoke to 4,000 pastors at my church who came from over 100 denominations in over 50 countries. Now, that's wide spread. We had Catholic priests, we had Pentecostal ministers, we had Lutheran bishops, we had Anglican bishops, we had Baptist preachers. They're all there together and you know what? I'd never get them to agree on communion or baptism or a bunch of stuff like that, but I could get them to agree on what the church should be doing in the world.

And the way I expressed it is that the Bible calls the church the body of Christ, and what's happened in the last 100 years is that the hands and the feet have been amputated and the church has just been a mouth, and primarily it's been known for what it's against. It's been known for what it's against. And I am working toward a second Reformation of the church which could create a Third Great Awakening in our nation or world, and it may not happen in America; it may not.

All of the growth of Christianity, as you know right now, is South of the Equator, whether it's in South America, South Asia or Africa, south of the Sahara. And so that's where the future of Christianity is. There's no doubt about it in my mind. And so I'm more concerned as a pastor about the church, but I think if there's a Reformation there, it could lead to a spiritual awakening in the world. And I do see signs of it in that people are hungry. How do you explain a book by a pastor selling now over 25 million copies? And that's in English. The book has sold over 30 million copies worldwide. And I'm not even a writer.

I tell you, there's nothing in the book that's new "“ not a single thing in the book that's new, that's not in historic Christianity over the last 2,000 years. I just happened to say it in a simple way.

ELSA WALSH, THE NEW YORKER: So are you saying doctrine won't be important or is not important if you bring together all these "“

MR. WARREN: No, no. I think, though, it's what Augustine said: "In the essentials, unity; in the non-essentials, liberty; and in all things, charity." And I think that's how evangelicals and Catholics can get together. And I don't know if you know this or not, but fundamentalists and Pentecostals don't like each other, okay? They don't. But they could get together. "In the essentials, unity; in the non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity."

SARAH WILDMAN, THE AMERICAN PROSPECT: I'll try to be quick, although I think my two or three questions are sort of unconnected. What about people who don't have Jesus in their lives, if you could address that sort of generally, and then also, do you see this Reformation involving conversion? And then also, how do you see people responding to this in the wake of, say, the tsunami this year? How dose the purpose-driven life connect to natural disaster?

MR. WARREN: Before you go to the third, let me answer those two. First, on the answer to the first one, everybody is betting their life on something. Every one of you are betting your life on something. You're all doing it. Every one of you are betting your life on something. I'm betting my life that Jesus was right when he said, "No one comes to the Father but by me." Now, I may be wrong, but I'm betting my life that he knew more about it than I do. And that's all I can say.

interesting article

JD,

I credit the article because it resonates with my experience with the church growth movement. I read widely in the literature back in the late 80's and early 90's and was exposed to it before then.

This stuff really happens. I've seen it first hand -- no, I've DONE IT. I've tried the planned "dramatic turn" in the sermon; the "strategic planning" (I'm not against all planning) wherein the sorts of calculations that were described were made. This is the approach counseled by lots of the CG lit. It's regarded as a "natural law" that can be applied by anyone anywhere.

What is shocking or should be is that folks in the business community -- who invented or revised (Machiavelli invented it!) the stuff that these folks are doing can see so clearly what it is and we have such trouble.

This piece did not strike me as a "hit piece." It struck me as an honest accounting of some less than honest dealing in "evangelical" churches.

As to the article you pasted. The errors therein are so many it's hard to know where to begin.

The "creeds" v "deeds" paradigm goes back to 19th century German liberalism. Obviously, what Warren knows about the Reformation couldn't fill a thimble!

That the Reformation "split" the church is nonsense. The proliferation of denominations didn't begin until we began to drink at the well of Modernity a good century or more after the Reformation. At the end of the 16th century, there were Reformed, Lutherans, and Papists (and some sectarians, but that had been true for 1000 years).

The notion that we can unite around "deeds" v creeds is just another version of "no creed but Christ." I think Rick thinks he's about to get left behind by the emerging church.

The reason he speaks to 1000's of pastors is because they're all DESPERATE to replicate his "success." I know that desperation. It's not healthy, to say the least.

So, evangelicals and catholics can get together on essentials? Apparently justification isn't an essential! This is the same RW who wrote Modern Reformation to say, "Hey, I'm with you guys. I read you every month and I'm on the same page...." Whatever.

We're all betting our life...? Pascal's wager anyone? "Men of Israel, you're all betting your life on something, wouldn't you like to bet that this Jesus whom you crucified, God has made him Lord and Christ? What have you got to lose?"

Stephen: "Go ahead and stone me, I'm betting on Jesus...."

Right.

rsc

Dr. Scott - do you agree with this statement?

Augustine said: "In the essentials, unity; in the non-essentials, liberty; and in all things, charity." And I think that's how evangelicals and Catholics can get together. And I don't know if you know this or not, but fundamentalists and Pentecostals don't like each other, okay? They don't. But they could get together. "In the essentials, unity; in the non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity."

-JD

So, evangelicals and catholics can get together on essentials? Apparently justification isn't an essential!

I have no idea what the good Dr. will answer, but I disagree with the quote you posted. I don't care who said it, unless it was Jesus.

Originally posted by jdlongmire
MR. WARREN:You know, 500 years ago, the first Reformation with Luther and then Calvin, was about beliefs. I think a new reformation is going to be about behavior. The first Reformation was about creeds; I think this one will be about deeds. I think the first one was about what the church believes; I think this one will be about what the church does.

The first Reformation actually split Christianity into dozens and then hundreds of different segments. I think this one is actually going to bring them together. Now, you're never going to get Christians, of all their stripes and varieties, to agree on all of the different doctrinal disputes and things like that, but what I am seeing them agree on are the purposes of the church. And I find great uniformity in the fact that I see this happening all the time. Last week I spoke to 4,000 pastors at my church who came from over 100 denominations in over 50 countries. Now, that's wide spread. We had Catholic priests, we had Pentecostal ministers, we had Lutheran bishops, we had Anglican bishops, we had Baptist preachers. They're all there together and you know what? I'd never get them to agree on communion or baptism or a bunch of stuff like that, but I could get them to agree on what the church should be doing in the world.

And the way I expressed it is that the Bible calls the church the body of Christ, and what's happened in the last 100 years is that the hands and the feet have been amputated and the church has just been a mouth, and primarily it's been known for what it's against. It's been known for what it's against. And I am working toward a second Reformation of the church which could create a Third Great Awakening in our nation or world, and it may not happen in America; it may not.

All of the growth of Christianity, as you know right now, is South of the Equator, whether it's in South America, South Asia or Africa, south of the Sahara. And so that's where the future of Christianity is. There's no doubt about it in my mind. And so I'm more concerned as a pastor about the church, but I think if there's a Reformation there, it could lead to a spiritual awakening in the world. And I do see signs of it in that people are hungry. How do you explain a book by a pastor selling now over 25 million copies? And that's in English. The book has sold over 30 million copies worldwide. And I'm not even a writer.

I tell you, there's nothing in the book that's new "“ not a single thing in the book that's new, that's not in historic Christianity over the last 2,000 years. I just happened to say it in a simple way.

ELSA WALSH, THE NEW YORKER: So are you saying doctrine won't be important or is not important if you bring together all these "“

MR. WARREN: No, no. I think, though, it's what Augustine said: "In the essentials, unity; in the non-essentials, liberty; and in all things, charity." And I think that's how evangelicals and Catholics can get together. And I don't know if you know this or not, but fundamentalists and Pentecostals don't like each other, okay? They don't. But they could get together. "In the essentials, unity; in the non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity."

SARAH WILDMAN, THE AMERICAN PROSPECT: I'll try to be quick, although I think my two or three questions are sort of unconnected. What about people who don't have Jesus in their lives, if you could address that sort of generally, and then also, do you see this Reformation involving conversion? And then also, how do you see people responding to this in the wake of, say, the tsunami this year? How dose the purpose-driven life connect to natural disaster?

MR. WARREN: Before you go to the third, let me answer those two. First, on the answer to the first one, everybody is betting their life on something. Every one of you are betting your life on something. You're all doing it. Every one of you are betting your life on something. I'm betting my life that Jesus was right when he said, "No one comes to the Father but by me." Now, I may be wrong, but I'm betting my life that he knew more about it than I do. And that's all I can say.

interesting article

Two things.

First of all, the New Yorker and the American Prospect are not the kind of publications that would be considered "friendly" to Christians -- unless they're in agreement with them. About the only one that comes to mind is that prominent heretic John Shelby Spong, and he is certainly unorthodox (to say the least).

Second, notice that they went after someone whose theological soundness isn't there. He knows the basics, but not the fundamentals. Had they interviewed guys like RC Sproul, John MacArthur, etc., the outcome would have been radically different. Call it a conspiracy theory if you want, but they knew who they were going after to get this interview done.

Oh, BTW. Let no one assume that the WSJ is a conservative publication. Far from it.

That the Reformation "split" the church is nonsense. The proliferation of denominations didn't begin until we began to drink at the well of Modernity a good century or more after the Reformation. At the end of the 16th century, there were Reformed, Lutherans, and Papists (and some sectarians, but that had been true for 1000 years).

Some would say that you are being fairly narrow in your interpretation of the Reformation's historical impact on the church - splits may have narrow beginnings, but far-reaching consequences.

-JD

It's worth reading the articles below on the incorrect attribution of that quote to Augustine:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Here is one example:

"The implications of all this to unity and fellowship are weighty. It means that the gospel itself, not our doctrinal interpretations, is the basis of our being one in Christ and in fellowship with each other. That is, when one believes in Jesus and obeys him in baptism, he is our brother and in the fellowship..." Leroy Garrett, "The Word Abused," Restoration Review, XVII, No. 3, pp. 42-46.

The ecumenical creed is: "In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, in all other things unity." This article traces the origin of the phrase and how it has been picked up by those that would emphasize unity over divisive sectarian doctrine: http://chinesetheology.com/Kiven Folder/ThePeaceFormual.htm

The Disappearing Doctrine of the Evangelical Church

Another article on the origins of the saying credited to Augustine, "In essentials unity..." Philip Schaff on the same.

[Edited on 6-19-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

In the essentials, unity; in the non-essentials, liberty; and in all things, charity

Prehaps the biggest problem with this slogan is that almost everyone who uses or hears it has a different definition of 'essentials' and 'non-essentials'. Depending on how you define those things the actual meaning of the phrase can vary significantly, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back